1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Can't find them online, but see them in store. I'll take some pics and post em up. I picked up a few a while ago.

3. jreigen

jreigen Well-Known Member

Yep. Although, I may biased by the fact they fit me better than any other loafers I've tried.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Most of them are Rx frames (I need sunglasses), and one of them isn't the Sheldrake at all (not sure why he posted them like they are). Either way, I'm looking for a very specific color combination and material. There are a couple on eBay that are what I'm looking for, but they are in the $300-$350 range. Realistically, I should just suck up the extra $50 and call it a day. However, I try to stick by the $250 number and really, at this juncture, don't need another pair of sunglasses. I'm sure I'll end up kicking myself in a few months when I'm looking to buy and there are none to be had...

5. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

^ Sometimes just gotta suck it up

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Hm, the arms on those look slightly wider to me, but could be the angle.

Actually, looking around a bit it seems they are the 3026s. The problem with ordering these on-line, is that it's hard to know whether to go for the 55 or the 58mm...

7. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Nah, JRD, I was reminded of the glasses in the movie, thought they looked pretty similar, both excellent!

Here are mine-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

jrd, aldens arent bad, tho not my steez. i have always liked the CJs as well.

kaplan, really like those persols. cool shades.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Thanks. My preferred variant of those would be the tortoise with grey/green glass, but for some reason Persol hardly ever makes that combo with Polarized lenses, so black it is.

Sidenote: I have a pair of Ray-Ban aviators (the less aggresive 'Cockpit' model), and despite the bad rep RB gets post B&L, the quality is fine. Maybe because they put more effort into the polarized ones. Only issue was the RayBan P logo on one lense, but that was easily scraped off with a small coin.

10. in stitches

they look pretty similar in shape to the tortoise persol eyeglasses i have, that i love. though i also prefer tortoise, they are actually very cool looking in black as shades.

the only shades i have are the RB wayfarers in tortoise and i am extremely pleased with them. i wear them almost exclusively for driving though, rarely use shades outside of that except occasionally in the summer. sadly, i look horrible in pretty much all aviator style shades.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I look terrible in teadrop aviators, good in square :D

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. bourbonbasted

Kap, hit up eBay. There are a number on there. While all the tortoise have brown lenses, there are a few smoky blue lenses in there as well.

Per your comments on Ray-Ban, I have owned four or five pairs (both B&L and Luxottica) and never had a problem. The biggest advantage with B&L was their customer service (they'd send you a new pair, no questions asked, if you ever broke or damaged yours, even if it was your fault). However, it's understandable that method of service is not sustainable, especially for a large company with ambitious profit goals.

To me the issue with Luxottica is their unyielding hyper-expansion into the market. They are more or less the LVMH of the sunglasses world, buying up every brand that constitutes any real market share. Is this a bad thing? Not inherently. However, when there is one large player with a controlling interest over the vast majority of the market, it's easier for quality to slip, R&D to diminish, and the overall luxury experience to disappear. I'm not saying that's already happened, and Ray-Ban were already ubiquitous pre-absorption, but it still opens the door for an overall reduction of quality in an already ridiculously inflated and lucrative market.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Agreed about Lux.

Heh, this is a sunglasses company we're talking about, not General Electric :D

14. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

That's certainly understandable. Also, good pic of the Henley. Have you thought about Alfred Sargent? The Callaghan specifically might be of interest.

15. bourbonbasted

Oh yeah. When I say R&D (and all that other stuff), it stands in the shadow of how ludicrously gigantic margins are on eyewear. Still, by making everything into assembly line carbon copies (again, I don't mean to say this isn't the case with smaller makers), you minimize the design and artistry aspect of the product. A prime example is OP x NDG x nackymade. If Luxottica has their way, everything will come from the same factories and the same materials, effectively killing any creative collaboration or insight outside of their internal creations.

16. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I agree that they're nice in black as well. Some time ago I saw a photo of a model without the Silver Arrow hinges, that looked really great and subdued in all black. Was never able to locate them though.

I had a pair of the B&L Wayfarers in tortoise w/ green lenses in high school (it was the 80's so they were pretty much mandatory). They were taken hostage when I forgot them at an, ehem.. sleep-over, only to be returned if I came back to pick them up. That was the end of those. What was great about them, was that they didn't have the superfluous Ray-Ban branding on the outside of the temples, like the current ones. Oh well :)

17. bourbonbasted

I'm fairly sure the dollar amount of my abandoned post-"slumber party" clothing and accessories is in line with the GDP of some small African nations.

Brings new meaning to "sunk cost."

1 person likes this.
  18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

19. in stitches

i kinda wanna track a pair down and kop but i wont.

:(

20. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

3 sweaters arrived today. Just as a PSA, the Scott & Charters sale at Unionmade is pretty great. This one is TTS or slightly large: http://unionmadegoods.com/product/sc...nd-light-grey/
    This one is pretty tight, maybe could even go under a sport coat. I got a different color but for the cardigans order TTS or size up: http://unionmadegoods.com/product/sc...igan-in-cliff/
    The Carson St. Alan Paine cashmere v-necks are a great value too. I'm a US40 and ordered a UK42 and it fits ok. Order your US size or add 2 (website says subtract 2): http://carsonstreetclothiers.com/cas...k-sweater.html