• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing)

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you buy those lobbs online?
I looked online, but they didn't have the William IIs availible in my size.

So I contacted the NY store by phone and had them send me a pair.

In fact when I spoke with them, they had a couple of pairs in various styles that weren't listed on the internet.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked online, but they didn't have the William IIs availible in my size.

So I contacted the NY store by phone and had them send me a pair.

In fact when I spoke with them, they had a couple of pairs in various styles that weren't listed on the internet.
Oh okay. I have wanted a pair of double monks for a long time now but never taking the chance. I'm kinda boring that way...
Many look so nice so I can't decide. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Then again, they look amazing. I really love JL shoes.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh okay. I have wanted a pair of double monks for a long time now but never taking the chance. I'm kinda boring that way...
Many look so nice so I can't decide. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Then again, they look amazing. I really love JL shoes.
The William IIs go for $1350.

You can get a pair Williams for $1175.

If you get them from the John Lobb store in New York they will charge you about $30 for shipping in the states.

The shoe trees will cost you $150, I was able to find a pair in my size at Mr Porter for $125.

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The William IIs go for $1350.

You can get a pair Williams for $1175.

If you get them from the John Lobb store in New York they will charge you about $30 for shipping in the states.

The shoe trees will cost you $150, I was able to find a pair in my size at Mr Porter for $125.
Thanks for the info. Damn pretty expensive, but well worth it!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Damn pretty expensive, but well worth it!
You can certainly get Double Monks for less, but these were the ones I really wanted.

If you buy yours from Mr Porter or Barneys you'll pay the same minus the shipping, but you may not be able to get your size and you certainly won't have as many styles or the various options John Lobb can provide.

If for any reason John Lobb didn't have my size they were willing to place me on the list when they recieved more stock in Apr or May.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

dereks, did you kop a size 11 pair on ebay? i think they might run a little large on you.. great kop nonetheless.
nah...got em in a 10.5. I have a pair of them in 11 that are too big and wide.
Two recent purchases:
ZOMG. fuckin sex.
gaht dayum. I need to step up my knife game. thats just awesome.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

D sizzle,

No more pics? Sad panda.

+1

well, i was waiting for a package...these were delivered Thursday, but the office was closed when i got home so i had to wait until friday to pick it up. Picked up an EG Cappelli square and tie from Marblehouse. this is my first cappelli tie...fantastic quality, and ties really well. If youre in the market for a great tie, check out his ebay store. ***** great. Plus he's a great fella to deal with. Thanks again MB!

IsteRed

Reaction score
Received my new watch and Nato strap, like it :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
marblehouse - that knife is amazing.

foxxy - great jacket

tripD - great dubmonx

derkle mcgurkle - love em both, tie and PS

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Needed a new home server, decided on an HP N54L, which is an outstanding little server for the money. Have already got 16gb RAM + a 240gb SSD coming for it. Should make a nice little esxi5 host with a couple of dev/test vms + plenty of home nas storage.

I can't believe we live in a day and age where you can get stuff like this for < $1K. As someone who started programming back in the late 70s on a TRS80 Model I (tape drive, 4K RAM, daisy wheel printers, etc.), it's just amazing...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I built a home server a couple years back with a whole boatload of drives in a RAID5 array. When I build my next one, will go with ZFS.

Have thought about these ready-made boxes like this, but mine does a bunch of other things as well--most notably is hooked up to the TV as an XBMC frontend.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice. I built a home server a couple years back with a whole boatload of drives in a RAID5 array. When I build my next one, will go with ZFS.

I was thinking the same thing until I discovered unRAID - which allows you to expand storage on-the-fly with drop-in drives - now I'm mostly convinced about going that way instead (it's licensed, but 3 drives are free, about $69 to add more) - or FlexRAID.

Have thought about these ready-made boxes like this, but mine does a bunch of other things as well--most notably is hooked up to the TV as an XBMC frontend.

I've got another media center box in the living room that handles the front end DVR+multimedia stuff, this box is strictly for bigger storage and back-end stuff :)

Check it out when you get ready, there are some even lower end models (N40L and N36L) that people are doing amazing things with - it's got just enough power + expandability for a killer little pre-made box (and I'm someone who's built all my own stuff for years). HP really knocked it out of the park with this for a home-server/SOHO platform, I don't see how anyone could build a closer spec box for cheaper let alone the time spent wrangling with off-the-shelf parts/drivers/etc.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing until I discovered unRAID - which allows you to expand storage on-the-fly with drop-in drives - now I'm mostly convinced about going that way instead (it's licensed, but 3 drives are free, about $69 to add more) - or FlexRAID.
I've got another media center box in the living room that handles the front end DVR+multimedia stuff, this box is strictly for bigger storage and back-end stuff :)

Yeah, this would be very nice--it's the thing I like least about my current setup. I believe ZFS supports this natively.

Check it out when you get ready, there are some even lower end models (N40L and N36L) that people are doing amazing things with - it's got just enough power + expandability for a killer little pre-made box (and I'm someone who's built all my own stuff for years). HP really knocked it out of the park with this for a home-server/SOHO platform, I don't see how anyone could build a closer spec box for cheaper let alone the time spent wrangling with off-the-shelf parts/drivers/etc.

I'd definitely consider something like this if I had more space. But, living in a tiny apartment in New York, I needed one box that could do it all--heavy lifting and simply serving up files. Once I leave the city, I will probably separate the concerns out. It would definitely be nice to be able to buy something small and low-powered to be the primary always-on storage server.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads