1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 23, 2008.

1. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thanks, stitch. I need more suede in my life

2. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Did you buy those lobbs online?

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I looked online, but they didn't have the William IIs availible in my size.

So I contacted the NY store by phone and had them send me a pair.

In fact when I spoke with them, they had a couple of pairs in various styles that weren't listed on the internet.

4. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Oh okay. I have wanted a pair of double monks for a long time now but never taking the chance. I'm kinda boring that way...
    Many look so nice so I can't decide. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Then again, they look amazing. I really love JL shoes.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The William IIs go for $1350.

You can get a pair Williams for $1175.

If you get them from the John Lobb store in New York they will charge you about $30 for shipping in the states.

The shoe trees will cost you $150, I was able to find a pair in my size at Mr Porter for $125.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Thanks for the info. Damn pretty expensive, but well worth it!

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

You can certainly get Double Monks for less, but these were the ones I really wanted.

If you buy yours from Mr Porter or Barneys you'll pay the same minus the shipping, but you may not be able to get your size and you certainly won't have as many styles or the various options John Lobb can provide.

If for any reason John Lobb didn't have my size they were willing to place me on the list when they recieved more stock in Apr or May.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Im so pissed. I caught the damn 24 hour bug last night and I was supposed to go to pick up somethings from Wilkes. FUCK. Hopefully tomorrow after work

9. Agnelli413

Agnelli413 Senior member

10. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

nah...got em in a 10.5. I have a pair of them in 11 that are too big and wide.
    ZOMG. fuckin sex.
    gaht dayum. I need to step up my knife game. thats just awesome.

11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

well, i was waiting for a package...these were delivered Thursday, but the office was closed when i got home so i had to wait until friday to pick it up. Picked up an EG Cappelli square and tie from Marblehouse. this is my first cappelli tie...fantastic quality, and ties really well. If youre in the market for a great tie, check out his ebay store. shits great. Plus he's a great fella to deal with. Thanks again MB!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Received my new watch and Nato strap, like it :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

marblehouse - that knife is amazing.

foxxy - great jacket

tripD - great dubmonx

derkle mcgurkle - love em both, tie and PS

14. razl

razl Senior member

Needed a new home server, decided on an HP N54L, which is an outstanding little server for the money. Have already got 16gb RAM + a 240gb SSD coming for it. Should make a nice little esxi5 host with a couple of dev/test vms + plenty of home nas storage.

I can't believe we live in a day and age where you can get stuff like this for < $1K. As someone who started programming back in the late 70s on a TRS80 Model I (tape drive, 4K RAM, daisy wheel printers, etc.), it's just amazing...

[​IMG]

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Nice. I built a home server a couple years back with a whole boatload of drives in a RAID5 array. When I build my next one, will go with ZFS.

Have thought about these ready-made boxes like this, but mine does a bunch of other things as well--most notably is hooked up to the TV as an XBMC frontend.

16. razl

razl Senior member

I was thinking the same thing until I discovered unRAID - which allows you to expand storage on-the-fly with drop-in drives - now I'm mostly convinced about going that way instead (it's licensed, but 3 drives are free, about $69 to add more) - or FlexRAID.

I've got another media center box in the living room that handles the front end DVR+multimedia stuff, this box is strictly for bigger storage and back-end stuff :)

Check it out when you get ready, there are some even lower end models (N40L and N36L) that people are doing amazing things with - it's got just enough power + expandability for a killer little pre-made box (and I'm someone who's built all my own stuff for years). HP really knocked it out of the park with this for a home-server/SOHO platform, I don't see how anyone could build a closer spec box for cheaper let alone the time spent wrangling with off-the-shelf parts/drivers/etc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, this would be very nice--it's the thing I like least about my current setup. I believe ZFS supports this natively.

I'd definitely consider something like this if I had more space. But, living in a tiny apartment in New York, I needed one box that could do it all--heavy lifting and simply serving up files. Once I leave the city, I will probably separate the concerns out. It would definitely be nice to be able to buy something small and low-powered to be the primary always-on storage server.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. razl

razl Senior member

Revisting my last "Hurrah!" big clothing purchase for a while. Just received them today, wore them for an hour or so around the office, and they are, in a word, fantastic. fyi: I got them from member Gyasih who was generous enough to work a deal with me, I can't say enough about how well the transaction went.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry usually digs my new footwear, he seems bewildered with these. Finicky cat.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Reminds me, I forgot to post...

Was planning on buying my first home-built computer after law school. However, the video card on my desktop (now 3 years old) is dying. Was originally going to just buy the video card I'd eventually use and harvest it, but the power supply was too limited and my motherboard too old to support a proper modern card (so rather than throw away cash on a temporary fix, just advanced the purchase). Parts should arrive this week, buddy is building it for me this Sunday.

- MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    - Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770
    - MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    - Thermaltake Chaser A31 VP300A1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
    - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10
    - LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
    - 2x extra Thermaltake AF0032 120mm Blue LED Case cooler (along with the case's base 2 fans)

I really have little need for the i7 advantages over an i5, but my dad is helping me out a bit (since I wasn't suddenly expecting to need to buy a new computer) and he's obsessed with i7's (convinced they're the bee's knees) and has always been uncomfortable with the idea of home-built machines vs. warantees from big companies. It was only like $30 more, so I'll just spend that for the peace of mind, if nothing else.

20. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ Building your own is fun. I've made a few over the last 15 years or so.