• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
100505-genevievepaul.jpg

Toronto

Are they meant to be good looks?

The guy on the right looks like a pizza delivery boy..

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

You're talking about Italian style which is very particular to a certain small part of Europe...

Do ALL Italian men dress like that ?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Do ALL Italian men dress like that ?

I was using myself a stereotype trying to criticize the sweeping statements inundating this forum...

Live by the sword,die by the sword...

HHD

Reaction score
From http://www.blogg.follestad.com

_DSC0644.jpg

I like him because my hair's a bit like that. I like his jacket, shirt & tie too. The look is tiresome on middle aged Pitti Uomo men but this fellow's a lot younger and it works well on him. (If we get a full-length shot and he is wearing tighty-white Incotex and unbuckled doubled monks sans chaussettes I retract this praise.)

I think AA Gill wrote that the well-dressed man should get dressed, look in the mirror and take one thing off. It's stuck with me. A tie + pocket square + boutonniรƒยจre is probably too much.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
^ I def think this is too much already. Trying too hard, to put it politely.
^^ Come on, we are being needlessly critical. If PG would have been wearing it in WAYWRN, everyone would have appreciated it

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Come on, we are being needlessly critical. If PG would have been wearing it in WAYWRN, everyone would have appreciated it

+1 He has on no more accessories than PG does, in fact, he probably has less, since I think PG wears bracelets and tie bars.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-stylish long hair
-very spread collar
-interesting (far from run-of-the-mill) jacket texture
-old-fashioned sun glasses
-pocket square
-thingy in the lapel (can't tell what it is for sure, prob flower)

All of these are "look at me" items. Trying too hard. Arguably, wearing a tie in that setting is also looking for attention.

EDIT: The fact that he posts pics of himself also backs up the idea that he wants people to look at him, though this is true of all SF photo posters.

Just because PG banged 20 girls last night, does that mean you should too? Also the younger you are, the less appropriate many of these things are. I have nothing against this guy, I'm just supplying my reaction. If only positive reactions were allowed, the information content would be useless.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
I like him because my hair's a bit like that. I like his jacket, shirt & tie too. The look is tiresome on middle aged Pitti Uomo men but this fellow's a lot younger and it works well on him. (If we get a full-length shot and he is wearing tighty-white Incotex and unbuckled doubled monks sans chaussettes I retract this praise.)

I think AA Gill wrote that the well-dressed man should get dressed, look in the mirror and take one thing off. It's stuck with me. A tie + pocket square + boutonniรƒยจre is probably too much.

That quote should be attributed Coco Chanel. However, I agree with you. The boutonniรƒยจre makes it all too contrived. Sometimes (make that all the time) I wish Italian style would by synonymous with what film directors like Maselli, Antonioni, Visconti, De Sica, Risi, Comencini et al. show rather than those clowns attending pitti uomu. I know it is for me.

gtu2004

Reaction score
Hi

Unabashedly Prep

bevinelias20100110_0012.jpg

this just does not work. either his build or he has to ditch that skinny jeans. The scarf should prob go too. Bottomline he does not have the build rock this one.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
How could anyone, ever think the guy on the right looks good? I think the guy on the left looks like **** too, but I know some of you like the vagabond look.

You think the guy on the left looks like a vagabond? You need glasses, or a brain, whichever one you are lacking. I don't particularly like either outfits but I'm sure both dress better than you do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads