• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

viksra

Reaction score
Well I don't want to be the one that kills the thread so I'll post a suit that I really LOVE... the pattern matching at ends, color, everything about it is fantastic imo.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But the fit is horrible... and the jettings don't match.

Last edited:

viksra

Reaction score

But the fit is horrible... and the jettings don't match.

Okay, I'm a little confused. I've been taught by reading online from men's styling magazines that proper fit is when it's snug but you are able to fit a few fingers inside when buttoned, and that you should be able to move your arms fully up into the air and also when you extend your arms down by your side, you should be able to curl your fingers upwards and that's where the bottom of your jacket should end. As for the cuffs, you should show a little cuff at all times. The shoulders should not have extra padding. This is everything I've read online in regards to finding a proper suit. Can you point out what I am misguided on?

viksra

Reaction score

you have a lot to learn

Is there a place where I can start? I am willing to learn what's proper and what's not. I come across many conflicting things online. For example, I read the information on Peyman Umay's site about what makes a bespoke suit etc, and someone in this thread said the site is filled with garbage and some of it is made up.

Is there a good place to learn the 101 of it all here on SF?

I'm willing to learn. Also, after I googled the definition of "sartorialist", I didn't see one other than it being a website. Can you explain what "sartorialist" is?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find myself reflecting on pBOOTH's musings about troll v. not troll.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Viksra is genuinely interested in getting a better understanding about what makes good men's fashion. Unfortunately, he posted some pictures and got hammer-timed for it. He admits learning from fashion sites, and in many cases if you you don't have anything else to compare those to, you have no idea what to base a decision on.

Vik, I learned the most by perusing the Men's Clothing forum. Specifically this thread. There are many other educational threads in that section, but since I have no idea what interests you the most, I'd say browse the entire Men's Clothing section. You'll see where fashion and trends separate themselves.

viksra

Reaction score

I think Viksra is genuinely interested in getting a better understanding about what makes good men's fashion. Unfortunately, he posted some pictures and got hammer-timed for it. He admits learning from fashion sites, and in many cases if you you don't have anything else to compare those to, you have no idea what to base a decision on.
Vik, I learned the most by perusing the Men's Clothing forum. Specifically this thread. There are many other educational threads in that section, but since I have no idea what interests you the most, I'd say browse the entire Men's Clothing section. You'll see where fashion and trends separate themselves.

IrateCustomer - thank you for your help! Yes I am genuinely interested in having a better understanding. And you are right, I don't have much to refer to in order to make a decision on. I even went so far as getting my hands on copies of these: Andy Gilchrist - The Encyclopedia Of Men's Clothes, Details - Men's Style Manual by Daniel Peres, Dressing The Man by Alan Flusser, Off The Cuff (The Essential Style Guide for Men and the Women who Love Them) by Carson Kressley, and AskMen.com Presents: The Style Bible by James Bassil. I've gone over each of these.

Again, thank you for your help and I'll try to post things that are more conservative and in tune with this thread from now on.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not, it's Justin Ross Lee (he owns Pretentious Pocket), but I absolutely love the clothes he dresses in. Most are done by Peyman Umay.

He looks confused in a lot of those pics..

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Strangely, out of all of the bizarre **** just posted, what seems to irk me the most is his too-short ties.

+1

There's so much to learn from these pics... in a kind of 'worst practice' way.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love the avatar, Zep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads