• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aon
Would have been a good look had he worn proper shoes

grayzurbruegg20110426_0009a.jpg

Love the Empire shoes...
laugh.gif

The bee were one of the symbol of the Great Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a fun look for a SA in a retail store. It shows he is enjoying fashion and not taking it too seriously.

Originally Posted by aon

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Is that Jeremy Hackett?

Classic English summery look. Very nice indeed. Looking forward to wearing similar stuff when the days get hotter.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Hackett.jpg

Wish I could pull that off.

The part I don't dig is the socks--too dark IMHO. Also, the shoes are a little too serious for the outfit.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Wish I could pull that off. The part I don't dig is the socks--too dark IMHO. Also, the shoes are a little too serious for the outfit.
I think it's a great example of how to pull off a light suit: make everything else conservative business dress/soporific. Too many times a fellow thinks a light suit calls for light everything else. That way lies ice cream.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
I think it's a great example of how to pull off a light suit: make everything else conservative business dress/soporific. Too many times a fellow think a light suit calls for light everything else. That way lies ice cream.

This is a good statement in my opinion.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guero
Stands to reason as he's the editor of GQ, sadly.

Originally Posted by NorCal
Well called by Hendrix.

Lol, you can see his train of thought.

1. I'll wear a cropped light gray jacket, because i'm short, and that will make me look taller. It will have skinny lapels cos the mad men look is in right now, and because i used to be skinny and that will "balance my proportions"

2. I'll wear low rise jeans because otherwise i'll look my age.

3. I'll wear a white shirt, because "a crisp white shirt always looks best" or something.

4. I'll wear a gray tie, with the collar unbuttoned to give off a "i dress up but i'm not too stiff" vibe.

5. I'll then wear a tiny tie-bar, because "it's all in the details, man".

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix

1. I'll wear a cropped light gray jacket, because i'm short, and that will make me look taller. It will have skinny lapels cos the mad men look is in right now, and because i used to be skinny and that will "balance my proportions"

3. I'll wear a white shirt, because "a crisp white shirt always looks best" or something.

4. I'll wear a gray tie, with the collar unbuttoned to give off a "i dress up but i'm not too stiff" vibe.

Yes, on that note, the chap in the shop pic above looks downright dapper by comparison. Two extremes of the J. Crew continuum.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aon

This is at Sid Mashburn, right? If so, makes sense. And I'm envious that that guy can wear a dress shirt with jeans and not have it come untucked.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like the tan suit look above. Maybe lighter shoes would be better, but all in all it's great. And I like the contrast of navy socks. They echo the tie. The Sid Mashburn guy looks good too even if I'd never wear that combo. Regular loafers would be just as good to me.

Originally Posted by hendrix

laugh.gif
ouch that burns.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Yep, Sid Mashburn. Nice guy.
Originally Posted by elgreco
[/SPOILER]

This is at Sid Mashburn, right? If so, makes sense. And I'm envious that that guy can wear a dress shirt with jeans and not have it come untucked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads