• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Economic Decision and Impact on Vass?

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Recent article from the NYT.

Bailout for Eastern Europe Rejected

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 1, 2009
Filed at 10:03 a.m. ET

BRUSSELS (AP) -- Germany rejected appeals Sunday for a single multibillion euro (dollar) bailout of eastern Europe, even after Hungry begged EU leaders not to let a new ''Iron Curtain'' divide the continent into rich and poor.

The swift, strong comments by German Chancellor Angela Merkel dampened hopes that leaders at Sunday's European Union summit could forge a unified stance to tackle the worsening economic crisis.

As Europe's largest economy, Germany has been under rising pressure to take the lead in rescuing eastern EU members, but Merkel insisted that a one-size-fits-all bailout was unwise.

''Saying that the situation is the same for all central and eastern European states, I don't see that,'' said Merkel, adding ''you cannot compare'' the dire situation in Hungary with that of other countries.

Hungarian Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsany, saying the credit crunch was hitting the eastern members hardest, had called for an EU fund of up to euro190 billion ($241 billion) to help restore trust and solvency in those nations.

''We should not allow that a new Iron Curtain should be set up and divide Europe,'' Gyurcsany told reporters. ''In the beginning of the nineties we reunified Europe, now the challenge is whether we will be able to reunify Europe financially.''

EU nations are all grappling with a worsening recession, compounded by a severe credit crunch that has left many EU countries looking ever more inward to protect jobs and companies from international competition. Those policies are now undermining the open market cornerstone on which the EU is founded.

Ahead of the summit, the leaders of nine countries -- Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Romania and the three Baltic states -- forged a common stand to pressure richer members in the 27-nation bloc to back up vague pledges of support with action.

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said the nine leaders called for ''a spirit against protectionism and egoism.''

Hungary, Poland and the Baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania also want the EU to fast-track their bids to join the euro-currency, which could offer them a stable financial anchor. Latvia's government has already collapsed amid the economic fallout.

Other EU members, like Sweden, want to coordinate a Europe-wide bailout plan for car producers.

Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek of the Czech Republic, which holds the EU presidency, has called on his counterparts to act together.

A draft summit conclusion centered a commitment to ''make the maximum possible use'' of the EU's cherished free market ''as the engine for recovery.''

''(The EU) not want any new dividing lines. We do not want a Europe divided along a North-South or an East-West line, pursuing a beggar-thy-neighbour policy is unacceptable,'' Topolanek said.

The crisis has sorely tested solidarity among EU nations.

The Czech Republic has accused France of trying to protect its local car plants at the expense of foreign subsidiaries, while Germany rejected earlier calls to help bail out economies in Ireland, Greece and Portugal.

Sunday's talks are meant to restore a unified purpose and help prepare for the April 2 Group of 20 nations summit in London.

Once-booming east European economies have been hit hard by the economic downturn. As cheap credit dried up their export markets shrank, causing eastern currencies to sink and triggering more financial turmoil.

Gyurcsany said eastern EU countries could need up to euro300 billion ($380 billion), or 30 percent of the region's gross domestic production this year.

He warned that failure to offer bigger bailouts ''could lead to massive contractions'' in their economies and lead to ''large-scale defaults'' that would affect Europe as a whole. It could also trigger political unrest and immigration pressures as jobless rates soar, he said.

EU governments have already spent euro300 billion ($380 billion) in bank recapitalizations and put up euro2.5 trillion ($3.18 trillion) to guarantee loans of many banks in the EU and neighboring states.

On Friday, the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development, the European Investment Bank and the World Bank said they will jointly provide euro24.5 billion ($31.1 billion) in emergency aid to shore up the battered finances of eastern European nations.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing how Europe in general is doing worse financially than the US. What baffles me
confused.gif
is how the US is throwing around TRILLIONS like it's nothing while Europeans *****-foot around with Billions.

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I keep hearing how Europe in general is doing worse financially than the US. What baffles me
confused.gif
is how the US is throwing around TRILLIONS like it's nothing while Europeans *****-foot around with Billions.

Look at the % of GDP.
laugh.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Also the EU is a bunch of states, not a nation with a federal government. Imagine state governors in the US trying to decide to help, say, Alabama. It would not be a pretty sight.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Very good point.

Also--the % of GDP doesn't matter. This is measured by actual dollars that are pumped into the economy.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better get a group buy on Vass going before the currency stabilizes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Also the EU is a bunch of states, not a nation with a federal government. Imagine state governors in the US trying to decide to help, say, Alabama. It would not be a pretty sight.

Alabama
eek.gif

I can't think of anything fine out of 'bama xcept fine looking woman
nod[1].gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully VASS will have no problem, as long a s they don't need new money to invest. They sell good shoes.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are Vass right now?

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Just my point of view, but, as the Hungarian Forint continues to be de-valued the impact on Vass becomes more evident. As an example, my understanding is that Vass sources their cordovan from Horween, the exchange rate alone and the sinking value of the Florint impacts their business.

There is a value placed on bespoke or "MTO" "MTM" or "handmade" and an eroding currency has an impact in this case of what i believe many members of this forum believe is a great artisan product.

The impact is felt by all all, whether you like Vass or not, they represent what this forum is all about.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Germany is probably particularly leery because they have been 'stabilizing' or 'supporting' )or whatever you want to call it) East Germany for like 15 years.

cassanova

Reaction score
it was my impression that the devalued currency was not really an advantage for the U.S. buyer (unless you travelled to Hungary) Is that correct?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads