1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent College Graduate having a huge Dilemma

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by BlacKidLA, Sep 16, 2011.

1. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

[​IMG]

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

ahh the dreams of youth!

Get a good coke connection. And if you need weed, come north, I might know a guy.

3. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

I'm very grateful I got the job and I'm not complaining at all. I'm not some pretentious asshole who has a sense of entitlement, I actually want to (and know that I HAVE TO) start at the bottom, that wasn't my concern. My concern was traveling before I get too old.

I guess what it comes down to is I just want to travel before I start in a few months. Maybe I'll work for my dad, save up some money and go on a Eurotrip or something similar.

I think I'll have a clear head then and hit the ground running once I start. I've read many books, talked to many people and interned a bunch in the entertainment industry, not to mention I was also born and raised in LA, so I know what I'm getting myself into.

[​IMG]

4. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Out of curiosity, what did/do you do that you have an agent?

5. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

You are complaining about 50 hour week and you think you can work 100? Please dont make a bigger fool out of yourself.

6. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

I wasn't complaining... Can you read?

7. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Senior member

Out of college, I worked for 80-100 hrs/week, 7 days a week, including holidays (4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc). Got to take one week off each summer. Did it for three years, quit my job and spent a full year traveling.
    Admittedly, being a bitch in some industries is more lucrative than others but at the end of the day, depends on what you really want to do. You could hate your job in a year or two, you never know.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

That sounds terrible. I don't mind working, and I don't mind working hard but this just seems like throwing away years of your life.

Since you said you quit, what are your feelings on having worked those types of hours, in retrospect?

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Good thing you started this thread, then. :spam: :spam: :spam:

Here's a special flower for a special flower:

[​IMG]

10. aizan

aizan Senior member

if you feel like you're running out of time or that you have to make really important decisions, it's just because you're young.

i'd say work, get to know an industry, learn something practical, save tons of money, etc. there is life after 25, unless you overdose on drugs or something.

11. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Senior member

The first year and a half was exciting. The second year and a half sucked. However, I can't really hate the whole experience, it allowed me to take a year long vacation at 25. That year justified the three years of working.

I also don't think 'throwing away your life' is fair. While I had a lot less free time, I did so much more with it. In other words, my friends spent all weekend sitting at home, watching tv and being a bum. When I had a few free hours on a Saturday, I actually did something - explore a new neighborhood, take a class, go sailing, whatever the case might be. In some ways, I enjoyed my free time a lot more than those who had it in abundance.

12. Lord-Barrington

I understand all this, but the guy working 40 hours a week has time to do all those things AND be a bum on the weekends. At least that's been my experience.

But this isn't to say that I don't admire your hard work and I also think it's great that you got to take a year long trip. I just don't think I'd be able to do that type of work schedule for three years in a row.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

In most professions you have to pay your dues early in your career if you want success later.

14. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

+1 for telling it like it is. Thanks a lot guys for all of your advice and comments. I think I can see clearer now that I've talked to you guys. As aizan said, there is life after 25 and I think I finally get it.

15. Lord-Barrington

That's way more than "dues". The only professions I can think of where you pay dues like that are banking and corporate law. Those types of hours just aren't reality for most professions.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Maybe academic scientific research too. 70 hour weeks aren't uncommon for late year grad students and postdocs, and then pre-tenure professors work at least as hard.

17. Lord-Barrington

I think there are a fair amount of people out there gunning for a promotion (or tenure) working 55-60 hours weeks. But 80-100 is really only the realm of bankers and corp. lawyers as far as I know.

I did have a prof in college who was easily logging 70 hours a week though.

18. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I'm actually very surprised you said you can get an assistant position while coming out of Indiana. No offense to IU but this is a tier 2 school and the "big name" talent agencies all target top 5 and sometimes top 10 undergrad and mba's.

Here is what you need to think about though. If you go and travel the world and etc, the ONLY way you are going to get an admin position is if you really know someone who has a ton of pull at a major agency AND/OR go to a top 5-10 B school and go from there. This is my honest opinion and I know many "important" people in Hollywood, especially from living here for the past 10 yrs.

You're at a crossroads, young man. GL with whatever you do.

Cheers

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I worked 70+ hours a week for six straight months my last year of grad school. Our postdoc rarely left before midnight, worked seven days a week. He's a prof now and works about the same. It's pretty crazy.

But it's not common, outside of a very few fields, for sure.

20. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Actually, more than half of the people at CAA got in because they knew someone already working there.

Sure, there are a bunch of people from Ivy leagues and top tier schools but they (CAA, the biggest) still have people from bottom tiered schools. I don't know where you're getting your perspective from but I actually got the job because I knew someone. My GPA, college and major had no part in me getting hired and I actually work with 2 other people (at CAA) with whom I graduated from IU.

I think it's a bit naive to think that the top agencies only target the top schools, as this is somewhat false.