• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Choppin and Lodge/Graham Browne Experiences

ruffbadger

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I'm a new member here, I have lurked for a number of years but never posted so I hope you'll forgive me diving straight in and asking advice.
I am to be married in August and am looking to get a suit made for the occasion. I do not wear suits for work but have owned quite a few RTW suits in the past and had a phase of buying vintage suits and having them altered. I'm pretty confident in my tastes and have a basic understanding of what is what.
I'm aware there have been numerous posts on off row tailors and specifically the two above but nothing that recently. It would seem Choppin and Lodge have new premises and now don't seem quite as linked to Graham Browne although I understand the latter still does some of the work for the former.
I have around £1500 to spend on a three piece and have done a fair amount of research. I would rather stick with a traditional tailoring house rather than an online operation for obvious reasons.
Having previously thought Sims and McDonald were in my range I visited them only to be told that I'd be looking at £2000 min for a three piece which doesn't tally with the info on their website but there you go.
I spoke to Dan at Graham and Browne who seemed like a nice guy and very helpful but I've seen a number of pictures of suits they've allowed to leave their workshops and I have to say the images made me somewhat twitchy.
Has anyone here used Choppin and Lodge in the last year or so and can speak as to the quality of their work, and indeed for Graham Browne?
Bear in mind I have never gone bespoke before, purely for financial reasons. Having said that I'm aware of the pitfalls of the bespoke process and with the greatest of respect am not looking to be told I should not go bespoke due to a lack of knowledge or experience but merely for first hand experiences of particular tailors or advice on similar craftsmen.
Any other suggestions welcomed. (I'm aware of the Georges and Chris Kerr amongst others).

Many thanks in advance for all advice.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Graham Browne has had one reasonable report here but I agree some suits raise concerns.

ruffbadger

Reaction score
That's the thing. You can have as many positive reports as you like but surely there comes a point when a craftsmen's sense of pride would prevent anyone leaving their workshop with a substandard product regardless of the fact the customer knows no better!
Or maybe I'm just being harsh.

ruffbadger

Reaction score
Hi all thanks for the comments.
I visited Choppin and Lodge (having previously visited Graham Browne amongst others) the other day, spoke with Richard and ended up ordering a suit.
I just found Richard easy to talk to and he seemed responsive, knowledgeable and informative and suggested some nice cloths.
I chose a worsted blue herringbone from the Porter and Harding Glorious Twelfth collection.
Suit wise I've gone for a three piece, SB, two button, ticket pocket to the right, slanted pockets, notch lapel (also on the waistcoat). I also ordered an extra pair of trousers (I believe there is an offer on these until the end of the month).
If anyone was interested I'd be happy to post some pics after fittings etc
Thanks again

joeninety

Reaction score
sims and macdonald was £1600 for a three piece back in january

having used both recently im sticking with sims

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
I had a commission from Sims for a 2-piece DB suit for around £1000 back in '09 when Celia (missus of S Hitchcock) was still the cutter. Whilst I've no fault with it, I do think you could get better value for money elsewhere. Any idea who is the cutter at Sims now?

joeninety

Reaction score

I had a commission from Sims for a 2-piece DB suit for around £1000 back in '09 when Celia (missus of S Hitchcock) was still the cutter. Whilst I've no fault with it, I do think you could get better value for money elsewhere. Any idea who is the cutter at Sims now?

i think its Clive Phythian.

where else would you recommend?

ruffbadger

Reaction score
The guy I spoke to in Sims was nice enough but the two prices I had been given were very different and I did feel he was checking me out a little when I went to the shop.
It may be my own paranoia speaking, to be fair 'm probably not their usual type of customer. They did strike me a slightly more conservative.
I did investigate Cad and the Dandy, their prices were similar to Graham Browne and Choppin and Lodge, I just preferred the thought of a more traditional operation.

WhippingBoy

Reaction score
All,

I have suits from both Sims and GB. Both are good operations. I think Chopin and Lodge is an off shoot of GB, it was recently described by Simon Crompton of Permanent Style as 'the travelling arm of GB.

Sims has changed quite a bit since I last went to see them. David Auton has retired, Celia has indeed moved on to join Hitchcock Jnr (shame really because she was very good). Jon Gowdy is still there and I think he has drafted in Clive Pythian and son to cut. I'd be surprised if they are asking £2K, they are normally on a par price wise with GB. That may be top end cloth.

You may want to have a punt with Jennie Adamson. She is an ex Maurice Sedwell tailor who has taken over Elizabeth Radcliffes workspace at Cockpit arts.
I have no idea how much she charges or what her work is like but her CV looks pretty good. I also have a sneaking suspicion she is missus of Davide Taub
http://www.styleedit.co.uk/blog/2014/04/life-on-savile-row/

Other places worthy of investigation Stephan *****, they are MTM, but Erlend has a good background reviews can be found on Bespokeme.
Nino's on Brewer St
Aplsey tailors on Pall Mall.
Mr Antoniou on Grays Inn Road

ruffbadger

Reaction score
Not sure I like the sound of Stephan *****! :)
Actually I was there yesterday to enquire about some shirts.
I think Richard at Choppin and Lodge is running a separate enterprise to Graham Browne now, he has a shop on Cornhill although he did say Russell does do some of the work for him.
Re prices at Sims, the cloths I looked at there were similar to ones I looked at Graham Browne's and they quoted me about 1250 so not sure what was going on there.
As stated above, I've gone with Choppin and Lodge, a slight risk as I have not seen reviews of a huge amount of their work. Simon Crompton did get a jacket there but I'd rather take the opinion of someone perhaps a little more impartial (not that I'm suggesting anything particular about that transaction).
I'll be sure to report back on the process.

joeninety

Reaction score

Re prices at Sims, the cloths I looked at there were similar to ones I looked at Graham Browne's and they quoted me about 1250 so not sure what was going on there.

Sims are def a little pricer, i think the construction is quite a bit better (more handwork on my sims vs GB), the customer service miles better - its the main reason im sticking with them.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
FWIW, just had a garment made up recently and will post pics when ready.

Last edited:

ammanati

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have my double breasted suit made recently by GB. It's been finished early June and I have already worn it few times. Please find some fit pics below and a link to my blog when I share my experience in a bit more details. If you have questions I would be happy to answer them.

link: http://blueloafers.com/tailoring-2/graham-browne-bespoke-suit/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads