• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Received unacceptable Herring Shoes - No email response :@

teacher2

Reaction score
Howdy,

As those who stalk me know, I recently purchased some Herring Premier Shoes from Herring.

Three days ago I emailed them, and have not heard any response yet. Yet, they replied to my email BEFORE I purchased the shoe within 24 hours. So, I'm disappointed in the customer service. Do they actually care about the customer after they take money?

So, I thought I would turn to StyleForum to get some opinions on my grievances.... just to make sure I'm not having unrealistic expectations... and to hopefully show me how to ensure that HErring actually responds and provides a level of customer service.

Picture 1 shows the dark brown leather part inside of the shoe has pealed significantly into the air. This is a major problem to me... though, the picture doesn't show quite how bad it is.
Document 2 shows significant warping inside the left shoe. This is a major problem to me.
Picture 3. Shows significant black marks near the bottom right of the picture.... and a significant white line just left of centre of the shoe.
Picture 4 Shows the same black marks from picture 3 in better detail
Picture 5. Shows the white line from picture 3 in better detail.
Picture 6. This is the same as picture 2, but in .jpg format.
Picture 7. This is the right shoe that displays no warping, for comparison with picture 7.
Picture 8. Shows some of the many loose ends / unfinished bits at the very back of the shoes.

I understand that well-made English leather shoes will have imperfections (and so, I could live (but, would not be totally happy) the white and black marks)..... but, the poor quality workmanship INSIDE the shoe has really grinded my gears.

See below for pictures 1, 3-8.

So, what does StyleForum think? Do I have a legitimate complaint? How can I get Herring to respond? Does anyone have any email address for Herring that an employee will actually take responsibility for and reply to? I just used the [email protected] , but they don't seem to care about my complaint.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/59707871.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/12293853.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/62567075.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/27081396.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/48976511.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/82641626.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/91442671.jpg/

I think I got the pictures in the right order....

Cheers,
Rhys

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. You only linked 7 pictures.
2. Sock lining can be glued down easy. Not a big problem.
2. Rest of the 'problem' look okay, IMO. They could be better, but okay for the price. Besides, they adds characters.

EDIT: p.s., if you do not really like the shoes, return them?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what was the cost??
Return if not satisfied....

teacher2

Reaction score
1. You only linked 7 pictures.
2. Sock lining can be glued down easy.  Not a big problem.
2. Rest of the 'problem' look okay, IMO.  They could be better, but okay for the price.  Besides, they adds characters.

EDIT: p.s., if you do not really like the shoes, return them?

Problem is, I dont feel I should have to pay the postage both ways just because they sent me subpar shoes. Let alone if I have to pay them to send me another pair too.

These wouldn't be major issues to me personally, but you they should still talk to you about it. But yeah, if you aren't satisfied, just return them...

see above... Postage here about £20, about £40 back, then another £20 to get a replacement pair..... Just for their stuff up
what was the cost??
Return if not satisfied....

Cost was $350 delivered.... Yet, it came without being glued and with multiple marks on them. Let alone the.scrunched up part inside and the untidy part at the heel.

Its not.like it is a cheap pair!

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try to get an exchange, maybe they will waive part of the shipping costs.

paying for shipping costs is always the risk of buying items online.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$350 does not seem cheap to you but if you bought 12 pairs of shoes at that price point, they'd all probably have about the same number of minor imperfections.

If you want perfection buy the John Lobb, St. Crispin's, or Edward Green shoes at $1200+ from a white-glove retailer. Best to go in person if you have no previous buying relationship with the seller. That way the retailer can understand the degree of perfection you demand. If I owned a shoe store and sold such things I would not assume that level of discrimination from every customer who bought shoes sight unseen & had them shipped a great distance.

The sock liner can be re-glued with a drop of Bish's Tear Mender. A glue like that should be in every shoe shine / leather care kit.

Remember the shoes are supposed to be worn and may not be super comfortable until year 3 or 4 of a 10+ year life in which they are worn 2x a week half the weeks of the year & treed the rest of the time. In the meantime they will pick up other imperfections and some of these you will repair with wax, polish, etc. Others you will live with.

A lot of styles and leathers don't look so good to me (on the feet) until they are broken in. Lighter and brighter browns are like this for me.

Last edited:

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Remind me to never sell you anything. You are entitled to your opinions and if they are defective in your eyes, return them. I could live with all of it without a problem.

teacher2

Reaction score
Sent off Herring another e-mail.

I got a reply, and they have offered a fair compromise.

For the record, I'll be keeping the shoes.

Cheers for your thoughts and showing me that they are acceptable quality (though, not ideal).

Now, I just need to decide how I am going to keep these babies in good condition. I have brown shoe polish, but think I'll get some cream as well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are making a lot of fuss about nothing.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice to new internet drama queens. Stop making so much noise and accusations before trying to resolve the issues with the seller. Internet is a powerful media, it takes little effort to damage somebody's reputation and takes a lot to recover.

My experience with Herring is nothing but spectacular. Decent price, fast shipping and great customer service. Shoes are handmade and sometimes few duds slips by QC checks.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoes look fine.

...I could live with all of it without a problem.

You are making a lot of fuss about nothing.

....My experience with Herring is nothing but spectacular. Decent price, fast shipping and great customer service..

+1 , from a very satisfied Herring customer...

....Now, I just need to decide how I am going to keep these babies in good condition. I have brown shoe polish, but think I'll get some cream as well.

and shoe trees...

All is well...end of threak...enjoy your shoes

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These wouldn't be major issues to me personally, but you they should still talk to you about it. But yeah, if you aren't satisfied, just return them...

+1

teacher2

Reaction score
My advice to new internet drama queens. Stop making so much noise and accusations before trying to resolve the issues with the seller. Internet is a powerful media, it takes little effort to damage somebody's reputation and takes a lot to recover.
My experience with Herring is nothing but spectacular. Decent price, fast shipping and great customer service. Shoes are handmade and sometimes few duds slips by QC checks.
This is absolutely correct.

It just is bloody annoying when you (well, I) *email* customer service, get a reply within 2 hours..... purchase the items .... receive the items .....then email customer service again, but this time DON'T get a reply within over half a week, and until another email is sent. I mean, what am I to think? They could reply in 2 hours before I gave them money.... then I have to think, now that I have paid, will I ever get a reply?

Combined this with shoes that I wold genuinely class as 'seconds' .... and perhaps you can see why I then went to SF? I received the shoes on Friday, so tried them on on Saturday morning... this thread was made Wednesday morning Australia time. So they really did have a chance before I went to a forum where their reputation was at stake. I think that is only fair that I gave them that opportunity. You can argue 3.5 days or whatever it was, was not enough..... but, given their ability to immediately answer pre-sales email, it was enough to me.

At the end of the day, ' a few duds slip by QC'. In my opinion, these counts as a dud. However, eventually, their customer service has kicked in and offered an unexpectedly pleasant compromise, which I have happily accepted. I would consider using Herring again, and the overall experience is a 'positive' and will be 'reviewed' as such to my friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads