1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Received Saint Crispins

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mbkoissy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Maximus Rex

Maximus Rex Well-Known Member

@Mbkoissy (OP):

Beautiful SCs!!! Congrats.

Technical question: Do you get most of your shoes online/through the mail? I notice you're in Washington DC, which is not exactly a shoe mecca. Skyvalet has a small collection of C&J and EG, but otherwise, nice shoes are not easy to come by. The Neiman's etc. barely carry anything other than corrected grain Gucci & Prada crap...

How do you manage sizing? Trial and error?

2. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

I'll echo what everyone else has said, those shoes look extremely cool. I don't think we should be faulted for commenting on the jeans, though. I mean the issue on this forum is dress. It's kind of like showing the engine of your car to a bunch of car enthusiasts, but refusing to let them discuss the custom paint job. It might be more of a stretch if people said you should get a new carpet or something.

3. mbkoissy

mbkoissy Active Member

@Mbkoissy (OP):

Beautiful SCs!!! Congrats.

Technical question: Do you get most of your shoes online/through the mail? I notice you're in Washington DC, which is not exactly a shoe mecca. Skyvalet has a small collection of C&J and EG, but otherwise, nice shoes are not easy to come by. The Neiman's etc. barely carry anything other than corrected grain Gucci & Prada crap...

How do you manage sizing? Trial and error?

Hello Maximus. yes, I am based in DC, but I spent 3/4th of my time overseas, traveling between Europe, the US, and Africa. I have been to most of the stores in London, Paris, NY, etc. and I own most brands including G&G, JL, EG, CJ, GC, Trickers, Grenson, etc. Therefore I have a pretty good idea of my British size, which is a 9E standard. Now for G&G, which does not really have a store and and SC, I speak directly with the principals. The goal is to match the size of the shoes that I am most comfortable in. These guys are very knowledgeable, and can suggest appropriate solutions. Sometimes, depending on the last of the shoes, they may be a little snug, or wide, but it's a decision that I have to make. Either I keep them or I send them back.

4. mbkoissy

mbkoissy Active Member

I'll echo what everyone else has said, those shoes look extremely cool. I don't think we should be faulted for commenting on the jeans, though. I mean the issue on this forum is dress. It's kind of like showing the engine of your car to a bunch of car enthusiasts, but refusing to let them discuss the custom paint job. It might be more of a stretch if people said you should get a new carpet or something.

Made in California, thank you for this piece of advice. You are absolutely right. People should be free to comment on anything.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

There's nothing wrong with speaking your mind, just like there's nothing wrong with other people speaking their mind about how you spoke your mind.

Personally, I think it's kind of dickish to harp on the jeans - snarky crack yes, continued nagging about it no.

6. ralphwho

ralphwho Well-Known Member

So... in summary you can't afford this, or are stingy.

Oxbridge education not working out for you?

You really think that because I clear out some less-not worn ties I have been 'bullied into selling'? You really think the true measure of a man is whether he 'keeps his clothes'? LOL you are a real idiot. [​IMG]

you nailed it in the head. money is not good these days with the crisis and all.
    I am just barely surviving without having to resort to making money from selling items in a forum.

But with the grace of god I will be able to avoid falling that low.

Apropos you and your wife will be in my prayers. May the lord save you and may you be able to keep your meagre possesions

hmm
    that this does not sound quite right

7. ralphwho

ralphwho Well-Known Member

it is just difficult to insult someone you dont know in a personal way- I think I will resort to other methods

cheerio

8. mbkoissy

mbkoissy Active Member

Dear Sir,
    I believe whatever shoes you buy, it is how they look, behave on the foot until your first repair (read 2 years), which is really important. Is the finish the same, does it last, how about the leather, does it stretch, it should of course, but how much etc. I am glad you are happy with your shoes, I hope you can return in two years and post a series of new pictures with the same smile on your face? All the best and happy walking!

Dear Mr. J.P. Myhre: I could not agree more with what you said. I have been working with SC for the last 3 years, and this is my 4th pair from them. The oldest being 3 years. I am very satisfied with the shoes. Although they were kind of snug at first, they now fit like a glove. In terms of patina, the leather looks better than it was in the first place. The antiquing has worked well. All in all, I am more than satisfied with my SC. Let's see how they continue to age.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Fuji: Thank you for your post. First, the cost of the shoes are 900 Euros. Second, I can wear whatever pair of jeans I want. I don't need your advice or anybody's advice for that. Third, let's stick to the issue, which is about the shoes.

This is a clothing forum not a shoe forum. If you post pictures of your clothes they're gonna get critiqued and I can speak my mind if I want to.

10. mbkoissy

mbkoissy Active Member

This is a clothing forum not a shoe forum. If you post pictures of your clothes they're gonna get critiqued and I can speak my mind if I want to.

The forum is about clothes. However, this thread is about shoes. But, I agree, you may criticize whatever you want. It is ok with me!

11. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

Considering how nice your shoes are you should get better jeans.

I'm confused and would appreciate an explanation. Isn't this a "style" forum? I thought that the dark/black jeans were what is in "fashion" right now. My bet is that given a year or so, the dark/black jeans will be out of fashion once again, and the OP's jeans will still be the tried and true jeans, or stylish, if that can ever be said of jeans.

I personally don't like the dark/black jeans and I completely accept that I am not "fashionable." I especially like the low-cut dark/black jeans that sit low on the waist. They are really attractive and quite fashionable. They tend to provide a striking contrast to the stark white plumber's butt that the low waist jeans encourage. Just say no to crack!

P.S. Great shoes!

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Price was approximately 900 Euros including fitted shoe trees, metal tips, and shipping charges.

wow, you saved a strong penny against their store retail price.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I very much enjoy their rustic-ish, Eastern European shoemaking aesthetic.

oops, wrong station. their lasts are influenced by their eye-talian last maker. "artificial" antiquing is pretty unknown in this parts. pegged waist is eye-talian, too

not much left of the ee tradition, despite their production place.

14. banis

banis Senior member

wow, you saved a strong penny against their store retail price.
    How much do they run for in Vienna today?

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Just out of curiosity, how were you able to determine your size? I've always wanted to order a pair of SC but just assumed it would impossible to find my size without actually trying a pair on. a foot trace on paper and taking quite a few measurements before sending it to ... to determine your size.
    this is the best way to do it. i do it with the paprika and it works perfectly.

16. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

I recently purchased a pair of SC online and I have a sizing question...

The marked size is "6.5H". It's marked that way both on the sole and inner tongue. What does the H refer to? The width? And if so, is that a normal/medium width? For reference, the external width measurement at the widest point is 4 inches.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

17. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

From Saint Crispin's site (look in 'Catalogue and more' and download the conversion table)

http://www.saint-crispins.com/

18. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Thanks! Although, the weird thing is they don't seem "really wide". How much do wide or "really wide" generally vary from a normal/medium width of the same shoe/model/last? 1/8 inch wider? 1/2 inch? 1 inch?

19. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

'Width' in shoes is not measured left to right across the bottom of the sole, but refers to the circumference of the last around the widest point of the ball. of the foot The difference from one fitting to the next is about plus/minus 5mm (3/16”) in circumference, which will affect the insole at about 1/16” narrower or wider. (The width of the outsole is not reliable, as this depends on whether the sole is cut with a narrow or wide welt.)

That's the theory, but many ready-to wear manufacturer will not change the sole shape for every width and built more than one (usually two) widths on the same insole. So, it is very common that a B and C width, or D and E with are based on the same sole shape, but the wider shoe has more volume from top to bottom and so has an increase in circumference.