• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding wardrobe on a budget--need advice about blazers & suits

Broadus

Reaction score
I have let my suits and blazers really deteriorate, and the quality wasn't that great to begin with, as I'm learning through searches here and on AAAC. I want to upgrade the quality, but I have to deal with a fairly restrictive budget.

Let's say I can spend about $800, and I need at minimum one classic navy blazer and two dark suits. What would you suggest? Ebay? JAB Signature suits? Anderson-Little blazer? I wear a 40R with a 34" waist, so I don't think fitting should be an issue.

Thanks for taking time to consider this.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, with that budget, you'll be best off right here on B&S when it comes to bang for the buck. It will take a bit more time though.

dk_ace

Reaction score
In a similar situation myself, I started doing a lot of bargain hunting. I hit the thrifts and discount stores religiously for about three weeks. I started off in quite good shape though by stumbling into a Dillards 50%+30% off clearance for suits and trousers. They had a number of Hart Schaffner Marx suits in my size for $148-250. 100% wool, made in the US, and originally retailing for $400-$800 roughly. At retail, they're not even close to worth that IMO, but they were a good deal at the prices I paid. My local Dillards still has a number of suits left at these prices so you might check one close to you.

I found a few decent deals at a Burlington Coat Factory after stopping in a few times for a handful of ties and dress shirts. I had similar luck at Nordstrom Rack.

Everything else (navy blazer, lots of handmade US and Italian ties, two pairs of trousers, two great pairs of shoes, 3 sportcoats) came from thrift stores for next to nothing. I've had no luck at thrifts for suits, but I seem to do okay on everything else there.

D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics