• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding my unstylish closet

[email protected]

Reaction score
Sorry guys I guess you could call me a super noob when it comes to clothes and I new help building my wordrope. I'm a college sophmore studying business so I know my future job is most likely going to be suit heavy and I want to already be prepared. However; my wardrope currently consit of tee-shirts and jeans because thats how I was raised, but I do have a few nice polos, boat shoes, and khakis so I at least have a starting base to build off. I want to start dressing professionally and confidently.

I'm 5'9 with broad shoulders and a more athletic build. I have brown hair blue eyes and I'm of split Irish, German decent. I'm more of classic guy when it comes to my clothing I like dressing conservatively and I personally don't believe in pushing the limits with my clothing choices and like darker more professional clothes.

First, Jos. A. Bank (I know SF members dislike them but I'm on a budget) is running a buy one get two suits free along with three ties and I needed a suit for my cousins wedding on Saturday so I figured it was reliable choice. The first suit I picked out was a characol pinstriped suit and I'm wearing a solid white shirt to go along with it. Any advice on a tie I should wear or the other two ties I should pick out? Secondly, is it to bold to wear a white linen or silk pocket square to the wedding and any advice on what kind I should wear if not white? Finally on this subject, my brother is getting one of the suits but for my other suit any advice on what I should go with, classic navy, grey, or maybe a tan one?

Next, please help me with advice on what things I need to buy that'll vastly improve my wordrope. Shoes, slacks, casual clothes, dress shirts, jeans, balzers, and anythings else I'm leaving out I would love and appreciate advice on it all. Is ebay a good place to purchase items if I'm on a budget, is it too risky or have people had a good experience with it? What about the buyer seller site on here? Thrift stores? Lastly, I'm from Richmond, Va and the only place I know of that sells quality clothing near me is Boss, Brooks Brothers, and Johnson and Murphys does any have recomendations on where to shop in Richmond or atleast good chain stores to start shopping from.

Thank you for all the help, and any help will be greatly appreciated sorry about being a noob on this subject but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read up on those stickies, as a lot of these are basic questions which have been covered. In addition, out of those three options for conservative styling shop at Brooks Brothers. Make sure you purchase slim fit or ultra slim fit shirts. The JAB stuff was probably a waste of money, IMO. Ebay can be horrendous or helpful. If you're just starting out it's not as though you need 5 suits tomorrow, so go slow. Boss can be okay for their slim-fit shirts. Get them on sale. Their suits are not up to BB quality. Stay away from J&M unless you want to look like an unstylish old man with no money.

Cheers

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you are quite young and still have 2/3 years left to complete your degree and you may still yet add a couple of years to do a Masters. Plenty of time to build a wardrobe - just focus on doing well and having fun.

Do not worry too much about suits at this stage, your body will still likely fill out a bit more. If you want a little more smartness to your wardrobe, buy some nice slacks and a couple of button down shirts. No need to reinvent ones self until it becomes a necessity.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're at VCU. Dress like a hipster, you'll get laid more.

For a city of its size, Richmond has great menswear choices. If you absolutely must get all MC at age 20, Franco's is a fantastic shop.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, Jos. A. Bank (I know SF members dislike them but I'm on a budget) is running a buy one get two suits free along with three ties and I needed a suit for my cousins wedding on Saturday so I figured it was reliable choice. The first suit I picked out was a characol pinstriped suit and I'm wearing a solid white shirt to go along with it. Any advice on a tie I should wear or the other two ties I should pick out? Secondly, is it to bold to wear a white linen or silk pocket square to the wedding and any advice on what kind I should wear if not white? Finally on this subject, my brother is getting one of the suits but for my other suit any advice on what I should go with, classic navy, grey, or maybe a tan one?\\.

I wouldn't wear a pinstripe suit to a wedding personally, I would go solid charcoal or navy. I would return the pinstripe suit and get one in navy and the other in charcoal or mid grey. (both solid) They can be worn anywhere for almost any occasion.

Wear the white linen PS, compliments most looks nicely
bigstar[1].gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sent reply(ies) to [email protected] j/k. Look deeper than Jos A Bank, or at least keep the receipt and tags for that **** and return it as soon as possible, or turn it into a 'drinking suit'

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I bought the Jos. A Bank suits because I was uneducated and I needed a quick suit but I guess I'll just return it after the wedding. But I would like to have a suit for internships and because I'm envolved with Kiwanis, Circle K, and other organizations where I may have to wear a suit every once in a while. So any advice on where to go for a dependable classy $300-$400 suit

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I bought the Jos. A Bank suits because I was uneducated and I needed a quick suit but I guess I'll just return it after the wedding. But I would like to have a suit for internships and because I'm envolved with Kiwanis, Circle K, and other organizations where I may have to wear a suit every once in a while. So any advice on where to go for a dependable classy $300-$400 suit

The Buy/Sell section here is where I would go. The prices are great! (If you don't mind used clothing) I trust almost all of the sellers here
thumbs-up.gif

It's hard to find a good quality/condition used suit on eBay, but you can find good deals if you know what to look for. I got a RLBL suit that fits me perfect for $300 recently
biggrin.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jesus, buy 1 get 2 free and 3 ties? if i buy 3 do i get the whole store?

go to nearby shopping areas, and try on suits and shirts from different places. take note what you like and what brands fit better. Don't go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff at once, as you learn more you might want different things. some general things to look for:

1st and foremost fit. then things like:
Flat front vs pleats, Cuffs vs plain bottoms. Lapel width, button stance, vents, number of buttons, natural shoulder vs roped shoulder,

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads