• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rebuilding my social skills

Bokeh

Reaction score
I've pretty much been in hibernation mode these past 5 years after my 2nd divorce.

Now that Im re-entering the world, I realize that my social skills pretty much suck.

after hearing a voicemail I left for someone a few days ago I realize I sorta mumble and slur my speech.
in social situations It seems I either talk way too softly(most often), or too loudly.

I seem to get mentally overexcited when I am finally interacting in a social situation, and usually regret it the next day.

I usually get nervous and my mouth seems to dry out pretty fast, so I avoid talking. sometimes I think my breath might stink a little as time goes on since brushing teeth, or after drinks & dinner, or even that I may accidentally spit while I'm talking

I never think of something to talk about, and I'm usually short, abrupt and to the point with my answers when talked to. I have a hard time following conversations because I am usually overthinking about how I should react or respond.

Im not sure if I have a hearing problem or it's just because too many other thoughts are on my mind, but I seem to have a hard time listening to people in noisy environments, but those are the environments I like.. I've had my hearing checked and the results were that I had no problems, but that is done in a sound booth..

any tips on how I can rebuild/practice my social skills? I don't want to try too hard and come off fake, but I know I need to improve in this area.

-thanks

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need to join a group. It doesn't matter what it is, just get out to a social exercise. It could joining a chess club, a bowling league, the Sons of Norway, anything. Or consider volunteering to help homeless people. It doesn't matter. Check your local newspaper for active groups and clubs and go join one. It will help.

Bokeh

Reaction score
Thanks.

Once I get back home in November I'm going to join a gym. I'll also look into other group things that are in the area.

My cousin invited me to go out with her and her friend to a bar tonight. It should be a little easier to be in the social situation since I will be with them, and my cousin is one less person I need to worry about judging me. But I'm about 15 or so years older than them.

Maybe tonight I'll try working on my listening, and try not to get so wrapped up in my thoughts

hmm what to drink..? since I feel a little more comfortable with something in my hands in social situations, I'll probably go with beer like dos equis or heineken

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all respect, there are better places with more qualified people to ask for help than here.

acl1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
With all respect, there are better places with more qualified people to ask for help than here.

very true. if you're willing to take a step out there, you could consider social skills building with a psychologist. Patients who are in remission or recovering from certain conditions and disorders often use them as a precursor to actual physical contact irl; it could be worth a shot.

Bokeh

Reaction score
thanks guys.

But, one of my things is that I am definitely not seeking psychology help from therapists and the like. I did that 6-10 years ago after my 1st & 2nd divorce and it seemed to put me into this pattern of thinking. I'm trying to get out of that mode of operation. anything they can do, I can do for myself and learn in the process, thats the route I'm taking this time.

Last night was fun but I overdid it. thats one of my problems? I tend to feel that I need to go to extremes when I go out in order to have a good time: bought a few rounds of drinks, anded up smoking some medical MJ, woke up at a strangers house at 6am then walked a mile to car.

I just got home and noticed thoughts of regret for last night. but, I caught myself in the same old thinking pattern, and up until now it hasnt worked. I switched the thoughts of regret to thoughts of "Yes, I did have fun" yea, I'll learn from it, and will not be doing it again soon, but while at it, it was alot of fun (from what I remember)
bounce2.gif

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bokeh
after hearing a voicemail I left for someone a few days ago I realize I sorta mumble and slur my speech.

This happens to me too, people sometimes think I'm high and/or drunk but I don't do either. I tell myself it's because of the stomach acid in my voice box and because I have a very deep voice I don't speak in many tones. I get compliments on my voice a lot so it balances out (sometimes called creepy, futuristic, opening for a Hitchcock film, if these count as compliments).

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need to build confidence in yourself in some way. That would make everything easier. You already started losing weight, right? Sports sure would be a good idea. Of course you mustn't overestimate yourself, that would have the reverse effect.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Or consider volunteering to help homeless people.
Homeless people will talk your eat off because they have nothing better to do, and forgive your shortcomings since theirs are always much worse. A great place to start, seriously. P.S. Dont be the guy who talks about his divorces all the time. Everyone hates that.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toastmasters, which I've never attended but I have heard good things about the organization. Open Mic Standup Comedy, which I do a few times a week and despite getting very few laughs, it's an exhilarating experience every time. A difficult thing to do for a shy guy like me. I hate it as much as I like it but it's helped make me more extroverted and comfortable in social interactions. Anything to get you out of your comfort zone. Nothing better for your confidence.

JMSBNSN

Reaction score
Go to the mall and strike up conversations with workers and shoppers. That's how I got out of my shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads