• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding a wardrobe

scwtlover

Reaction score
I'm 58 and 5' 7". Over the years, I'd built up my suit wardrobe through Filene's Basement -- especially the late, lamented original Boston store -- and occasional mtm (Matty's and, after a fire put him out of business, Sumner Berke). The prospect of a family wedding, forces me to acknowledge the reality that, due to weight gain, my suits don't really fit anymore. Over time, exercise and diet may help in the future. But right now, I need a new basic wardrobe.

I have c. $1,500 to spend on suits, including alterations. I'm thinking of getting three suits:

Two BB 1818 Madisons: one navy solid; one charcoal solid. $999 less 15% for opening charge account plus any coat alterations.

One FB: I'm currently holding
a predominantly blue Canali bird's eye ($899 less 40% less 20% plus alterations); and
a predominantly gray Zegna bird's eye (1,299 less 40% less 20% plus alterations)

I'd value your opinions and suggestions.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The BB alterations should be free when you buy (and when they charge for realteration it is almost nothing).

I have a madison in herringbone saxxon wool and the cloth is beatiful. I am not sure I am equally happy with the final cut of it (the madison is the most boxy but their other cuts all fit funny with my drop) but the cloth alone makes it very nice,

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the BB deal right now is a good one. I just got two Fitzgerald suits and am very happy with them. A lot of members of this forum also like the Regent, but I think it all depends on your preference and body type.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads