• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Rebuilding a wardrobe

scwtlover

Reaction score
I'm 58 and 5' 7". Over the years, I'd built up my suit wardrobe through Filene's Basement -- especially the late, lamented original Boston store -- and occasional mtm (Matty's and, after a fire put him out of business, Sumner Berke). The prospect of a family wedding, forces me to acknowledge the reality that, due to weight gain, my suits don't really fit anymore. Over time, exercise and diet may help in the future. But right now, I need a new basic wardrobe.

I have c. $1,500 to spend on suits, including alterations. I'm thinking of getting three suits:

Two BB 1818 Madisons: one navy solid; one charcoal solid. $999 less 15% for opening charge account plus any coat alterations.

One FB: I'm currently holding
a predominantly blue Canali bird's eye ($899 less 40% less 20% plus alterations); and
a predominantly gray Zegna bird's eye (1,299 less 40% less 20% plus alterations)

I'd value your opinions and suggestions.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The BB alterations should be free when you buy (and when they charge for realteration it is almost nothing).

I have a madison in herringbone saxxon wool and the cloth is beatiful. I am not sure I am equally happy with the final cut of it (the madison is the most boxy but their other cuts all fit funny with my drop) but the cloth alone makes it very nice,

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the BB deal right now is a good one. I just got two Fitzgerald suits and am very happy with them. A lot of members of this forum also like the Regent, but I think it all depends on your preference and body type.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 270 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40