• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Not to be a heretic, but it's just possible that what constitutes a "better" school, much less the "best" school, might depend a little bit on who the individual student is.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^Agreed. I actually actively tell many parents that Stuy might not the best school for many kids. It's stressful and academically very demanding, sometimes it's too much for many kids. Plenty of other great schools

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just leaned over and asked the guy next to me where he went: "Bk Tech, I got into Bronx Sci, but wasn't smart enough for Stuyv." That said, my Company probably has an equal amount of Tech, Stuyv alumns.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just leaned over and asked the guy next to me where he went: "Bk Tech, I got into Bronx Sci, but wasn't smart enough for Stuyv." That said, my Company probably has an equal amount of Tech, Stuyv alumns.
My girlfriend also chose Tech over Science, both of which she got into, due to the commute from deep Brooklyn.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You all have my sympathies - that must have been one of my five free articles.

Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots

merlin_152274873_f583be53-935d-4c48-a149-5a7a49fa1897-articleLarge.jpg

Students at Stuyvesant High School, where only seven black applicants gained admission on Monday.CreditCreditChristopher Lee for The New York Times

By Eliza Shapiro

• March 18, 2019
Only a tiny number of black students were offered admission to the highly selective public high schools in New York City on Monday, raising the pressure on officials to confront the decades-old challenge of integrating New York’s elite public schools.

At Stuyvesant High School, out of 895 slots in the freshman class, only seven were offered to black students. And the number of black students is shrinking: There were 10 black students admitted into Stuyvesant last year, and 13 the year before.

Another highly selective specialized school, the Bronx High School of Science, made 12 offers to black students this year, down from 25 last year.

These numbers come despite Mayor Bill de Blasio’s vow to diversify the specialized high schools, which have long been seen as a ticket for low-income and immigrant students to enter the nation’s best colleges and embark on successful careers.

being challenged at Harvard University and as last week’s college admissions scandal revealed the extreme ways in which wealthy and well-connected families try to game admissions.

recent report found that offers to Asian-American students, who now make up about 60 percent of the specialized schools, would drop by about half under the mayor’s plan, while offers to black students would increase fivefold if that plan is approved.

Critics of Mr. de Blasio’s plan have expressed frustration that he did not offer the Asian-American community any concessions, such as a new specialized high school, for all the seats they would lose under the proposal.

The city is relying on a less sweeping part of its plan to help force a measure of integration as soon as this fall: the expansion of Discovery, a summer program that prepares students who just miss the cutoff score for admission into a specialized school.

Though the city has not yet released data about this year’s Discovery class, officials said they believe the plan to set aside 20 percent of seats for Discovery students at each specialized school over the next two years will roughly double the number of black and Hispanic students in those schools.

But with so few black and Hispanic students in the schools, the bigger issue is the future of the test. Over the last few months, city officials have taken their plan to abandon it on the road, trying to sell it in local town hall meetings. They have faced furious parents from the Upper East Side to Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, who have at turns accused the city of trying to destroy the schools and of focusing too much on a tiny number of schools at the expense of the larger system.

she asked, to applause from the audience. “Every one should be.”

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
politicians trying to ruin a good thing to hide another indicator of how ****** they are doing

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What can be done? Forcing arbitrary percentages of ethnic groups I don't believe is the answer for many reasons, but I am curious how many black and Latinos took the test out of who got accepted. Of course some of these students don't have the resources to get help to study for the test like others, but I feel the larger issue is the greater world of education, arbitrarily placing students based on race is a band-aid on the problem and only creates further problems. I'm no expert though.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What can be done? Forcing arbitrary percentages of ethnic groups I don't believe is the answer for many reasons, but I am curious how many black and Latinos took the test out of who got accepted. Of course some of these students don't have the resources to get help to study for the test like others, but I feel the larger issue is the greater world of education, arbitrarily placing students based on race is a band-aid on the problem and only creates further problems. I'm no expert though.
There was a lot of talk about this in Tech Facebook page and some suggest rather than taking the test away focus should be put on the improving grade schools.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not having the resources to study for the test is not a real thing: many of the Asian students who are selected are quite poor and English is a second language. In addition study materials, courses and videos are free. And those Asian students are outperforming white students as well and no one is arguing that white students are resource poor, though many may be.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not having the resources to study for the test is not a real thing: many of the Asian students who are selected are quite poor and English is a second language. In addition study materials, courses and videos are free. And those Asian students are outperforming white students as well and no one is arguing that white students are resource poor, though many may be.

Wut? You sound like me here!

Just because something is true, doesn't mean it's wise to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads