1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I am off today and am sitting in my living room in Brooklyn. It came an went in appr 10 min. Lightning was serious!!

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Its here right now. :eek:

3. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Well-Known Member

My wife was at Bergdorf's men's shop (looking for me) yesterday afternoon when Le Deluge Du Jour hit. She said a guy came in shouting "I need an umbrella!" Thirty seconds and $229 plus tax later he was gone. And those were the store brand, marked down. He couldn't walk ten more steps to a Duane Reade and save $219?

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This is excellent. Those "Apt 5" umbrellas sold on streets and in drug stores are horrifically bad though...

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^this happens in the summer with expensive t-shirts too. I've been in Barney's Soho and a schlubby guy will walk in with a sweated out t-shirt, and randomly buy a $150 tshirt put in on, and walk out in less than 3min. You could just walk to a uniqulo and buy a $5 shirt for the same purpose.

^they are especially bad in heavy winds. I've opened up a brand new one in a gust of wind and it just gave out on initial deployment.

1 person likes this.
  6. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

What's the best classic umbrella one can get for under $200?

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Howard Yount perhaps?

1 person likes this.
  8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Have heard good things about the Kent Wang and Howard Yount versions, but have not tried them. I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money on an umbrella I'll just leave in the back of a cab someday.

1 person likes this.
  9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I get a $10 long umbrella from Century 21 every so often when my old one has crapped out or I've left it somewhere. Somehow I've had this briefcase sized "New York Life" umbrella in my briefcase which gets regular use and abuse for over 2 years now...

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, I say that, but I've had a Totes (simple full-sized with the curved handle--really just as basic as it gets) for two years now without losing it. I'm sure if I buy something nice thought I'll lose it immediately.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've never lost an umbrella but I have broken four.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Can't even count the number I've lost. Last time it happened, I left it in a bar after too many G&Ts.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That too, M. Nice umbrellas are beautiful, but umbrellas are effectively disposable in this city, so I really don't want to spend that kind of money on one.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

My James Smith in cherry bark is the best I own. I only take it out for occasions I know it'll never leave my side. My HY whangee is used more often. I have cheap umbrellas for when I am in danger of leaving it somewhere.

15. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

lol

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The truth is indeed often quite funny particularly when juxtaposed against preconceived notions and untruthful stereotypes.

17. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

no, I just find it funny how each person can use "literature" to support their own views. But I will give you that there is a stereotype that republicans are not caring.

18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I take it you don't know the difference between "literature" and the phrase "the literature" meaning "scientific" or "social scientific literature" which compiles data about various social phenomena. Which was the meaning in this case, and you are wrong.

In any event, this thread is about bitching about New York, not chicken shit word play, hair splitting and necro-posting from sanctimonious ignorant liberals, so take it somewhere else.

2 people like this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm not sure what my "views" are other than to report what empirical evidence shows. It's like posting "lol" if I were to say data shows Dems are more likely to be accepting of gay marriage. While I think conservatism would dictate one should accept, nay demand, gay marriage it is incontrovertible that those considered "conservative" in the US are far less likely to accept gay marriage than those that identify as Dems. Likewise, empirical data shows those that identify as Repubs give more to charity that those that identify as liberal and the health literature shows Repubs tend to be healthier in many metrics.

Edit: what Manton said. Let's drop it.

20. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

spoken like a true new yorker! But I actually like NYC, just enjoying the thread.