1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I went to public middle school and look at me.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

Me: Catholic school from 1-8th grade + one of the 3(more now) specialized NYC public high schools + college(for engineering) =

18,000+ SF Posts! :eh:

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Stuy, or BK Tech? There's a whole West Side Story feud between them.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

Tech.

5. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Last week, my super started calling me by my first name and today he fist-bumped me. Not sure how i feel about that.

lefty

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

Me too.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

is stuyv "better", p.s. not born in the city, so I don't know if it's inflammatory statement...

8. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Yes. It is by most every measure.

9. Churchill W

IIRC in the past it has been ranked one of the top high schools in the country. Not sure if the list I was looking at was public only or public and private. Might have been a US News Report list.

10. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

I don't doubt brooklyn tech is good, but are styv (general perception wise) = brooklyn tech or >= or <=, is it a bit "we didn't go to Harvard attitude" or it's we're like CalTech so we're better than anyone else...

11. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Stuyvesant is the best of the bunch and that is the clear perception among students and adults: https://nypost.com/2015/09/27/the-elite-eight-here-are-the-top-schools-in-nyc/ (Average SAT scores is one measure).
    I am sure there are kids who select one of the other schools as their first choice for some reason but could have gotten in to Stuyvesant, but I don't think it would be possible to be rejected by one of the others schools and still get in to Stuyvesant. For example, I have a family member who only applied to School of American Studies (not to Stuy, not to BS, etc.). Maybe she could have gotten in to Stuyvesant, maybe not. But if she is rejected from AS, there is no way she would have been admitted to Stuyvesant.

12. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

Stuy > Bronx Sci > Brooklyn Tech. Although once upon a time, Bronx Science was considered better than Stuy. All those physics Nobel prize winners didn't hurt...

13. Churchill W

In my time, it may be different now, or for other eras, you would have have been disillusioned if you thought Brooklyn Tech = Stuy.

@WhyUEarly is right as that was the order in the totem pole at least for my time.

14. thatboyo

thatboyo Senior Member

Stuy>bk tech and there’s not many who would argue other way around

15. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

there's some 'misguided' parents who are whispering that Staten Island Tech is as good as Stuy nowadays, but I find that to be bs. I also want to mention the fact that the U.S. News school rankings is also pointless because they rank high schools on metrics such as the number of AP or IB classes that students take. Some schools around the U.S. have their students taking AP classes as early as freshman year. In fact, regular Stuy classes were undoubtedly more challenging than whatever AP version of the class was.

When I was at Stuy, freshmen and sophomores were strictly forbidden from taking AP classes until junior year. Calculus was by far the easiest math class I took, and that's because it had to follow the AP curriculum...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019