1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

All I can tell you is what they told me the previous owner was paying.

Kids are kids, they adapt to any living situation. But I do find that people who grew up in NYC are some of the more interesting people I know.

I used to shudder when my wife wanted to change a light fixture in our 100-year-old house as it meant opening up the wall and inside I would find 100 years of wiring as well as the original gas lines that were used for lighting.

The owner of the CT house called me a few weeks ago to ask if 60K seemed like a good price for the new and unexpected heating system their contractor said they now need.

My next and last house will be a concrete and glass box somewhere with a nice view.

lefty

2. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

not American, zero appreciation for so called "character", if I want it to look like a old house I would build brand new but have it look old...

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Too true!
    My boss moved to Long Island a few years ago and he hates it. He hates the house maintenance, property taxes, and having to turn down events because of commuting drudgery and also like you mention spontaneity. He said as soon as his second kid goes to college he's moving back. He also hates "having" to drive everywhere.

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

That's impossible. Many materials are simply NLA, and you cannot buy patina.

5. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Not impossible. You see it all the time. You build w/ new/latest materials for structure, electric/plumbing and then finish w/ old recycled materials: beams from barn in VT, etc.

Agree that it's not the same, and you can always tell (and often it just looks stupid when people do it haphazardly), but I've seen some places that look pretty cool.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018 at 8:25 AM

6. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

When he first arrived in the US and was still an unknown pursuing his body-building career, Arnold Schwarzenegger used to have a job in California demolishing chimneys. I guess they weren't earthquake-safe or something. Anyway, the story is that he would charge homeowners to remove their old brick chimneys and then make twice as much again selling the old bricks as designer building materials.

BTW, the "Powered by Google" panel on the right of my screen keeps offering this as a "related thread".

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/coughing-up-tiny-little-chunks-of-stuff-from-the-throat.165351/

I don't know whether this is saying something about Google's AI or about us.

7. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

Until recently I was driving every day. The road hazards have been a recent phenomenon. In the other 9 years of daily driving, I only had to replace 1 or 2 tires due to punctures from road hazards.