1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

Romafan is on point, the cost is real, but i am not hung up on trying to prove my manhood doing it myself. Its a simple decision about the value of your time. The Fairfield County price premium is also very real.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I would just pay a guy.

Can't be worse than what we pay in maintenance now--over $2,500 a month.

3. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

4. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Guys :bigstar:. Remember, you've got inside AND outside. The main problem, from what people tell me, is that there are constantly small things popping up that don't fall squarely within the purview of either the housekeeper or the landscaping crew. If you have a skillful handyman on retainer then you are all set. If not, then every new issue requires research, phone calls and scheduling headaches, and with a lot of the smaller stuff you'll decide the effort/cost is not worth it and you'll end up doing it yourself (or putting it on your honey-do list).

5. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Roma is right. Paying someone top dollar to do all those little necessary jobs is galling and emasculating so you have to do it yourself.

Friends just moved to CT to have their first baby. Their 3-month reno has turned into a 13-month long nightmare with all kinds of wonderfully horrible surprises in those old walls.
    Their taxes are 25K.
    Their annual landscaping costs are 22K.

On the plus side, he has a place to put his car.

lefty

6. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

I think you are asking the wrong question. How do you want you kid to grow up?

The experience of growing up in a house in the suburbs, especially one with some land vs. an apartment in the city is massively and qualitatively different.

Personally, I think in an ideal world, every child should be issued, at birth, with a backyard to play in. It's great for the parents to be able to say, "Go outside and play!" and it's great for the kid. When you are five, a backyard is an entire world that you can roam at will. Even when you're older, it's a great thing to have.

Of course, not everyone feels this way. Raising city children is a high art form in Manhattan. But I don't think there is any dispute that whether you want to raise your kids in a city or the suburbs is a real choice that should be carefully considered.

Plus, if you move to the suburbs, we will get threads like "Help Foo choose a BBQ!" and "Mafoofan struggles to by dark green lawn tractor at Caterpillar", so that kind of tips it for me.

Hahaha. Normally I hate the whole "First-world problems" meme but . . .

7. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

So cheaper than tipping your doorman at Christmas? :confused2:

Of course, landscaping costs also depends a lot on what, exactly, you are landscaping. I don't have direct experience of suburban NY but I'd be very surprised if a lawn and a couple of trees is going to cost you 2K a month, even there. Of course, if you've got a pool, an acre, extravagant topiary, etc., the sky's the limit.

8. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Good point on doormen. Mine get more at Christmas than my family does.

Nicely landscaped property - trees, flowers, etc, and I believe that included winter maintenance.

lefty

9. clee1982

Your 2500 maintenance in the city also included tax, so suburb won’t be that much cheaper (assume your house is at least 1mm, most likely more).

Growing up in with a backyard is definitely a very American thing, both my wife and I grow up in city (in Asia), if the green space is there don’t really see a problem (of course we don’t leave school at 3 where we grew up so go out and play was less a issue to start with...)

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I grew up in a nice suburb very similar to Greenwich, so know what to expect. The house we're looking at is very old and ~4,500 square feet, and it sits on a fairly large lot (~3 acres), but I cannot see it costing close to $2,000/month to maintain. Simply impossible.

Maybe we are terrible parents, but we're not so concerned about our children being raised in the city or in the suburbs. Either way, we think we can give them a great upbringing and childhood, albeit very different ones. You lose the backyard and picket fence by staying in Manhattan, but you do gain things, too.

City vs. country is more about the kind of lifestyle we want for ourselves, not about better or worse for our family.

11. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

1. Kids in the city is not easy. I've had family struggle until succumbing to the siren call of Fairfield/Darien/Greenwich and the like.
    2. If you do move, seriously consider house size as well as lot size. Landscaping costs on a multi acre lot is a bitch and a half, especially if you try to make it pretty...
    3. Can you tolerate the commute? If you can (and it sounds like yours would be tolerable), then the burbs become much more promising. A brutal commute is obviously time consuming, but also eliminates time spent with kids, which is more important to some than others.

12. clee1982

I thought the comp. should include tax if you want to see the real diff, also old house really does mean work, might as well spend a year renovate to the best you can before you move in

13. clee1982

Yup commute is definitely the thing

14. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

I have an 1890s house near Greenwich on over 2 acres. Old houses cost a ton to maintain and crazy things happen a lot. My advice - do not buy an old house. they are charming, they are a money pit. For example, a leak in the basement. Carpet replaced, no big deal right? Well that leak turns out to be caused by the 100+year old foundation basically having no mortar left in it. its just a pile of rocks. Which put the house at structural risk and required a trench around the entire house to be dug and the foundation to be re-laid, stone by stone, by hand. It was several years of your maintenance budget right there. Stuff like that happens with older houses.