1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I really hope it isn't the color that I think it is going to be.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

3. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

I pay approx $350 to the garage in my Harlem building. My only issue is that it is an elevator garage and in the event of a major problem/attack I may not be able to get my car. I've started leaving it on the street during significant holidays and am looking for a drive in lot.

lefty

4. mafoofan

That's a great price! Do they charge more for trucks/exotics?

Not worried about emergency access. Just want to easily retrieve my car on weekends and feel that it secure and unmolested otherwise.

5. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

You live in downtown though? Going to take you 30+ minutes if garage is in Harlem

6. lefty

It is a good price and there is an SUV charge, but I argued it down by pointing out that the wheelbase of my truck was on par with many cars.

I have friends downtown who keep their cars in the lots on the WS highway around Houston. I think there are covered and uncovered options and you can access your car at any time as you park it and keep the key. Little cheaper there as well. But you may want someone covering and watching your car.

lefty

7. mafoofan

Yeah, I know--but since I don't need it daily, would consider taking on the inconvenience for some real savings. Around where I am, most of the garages I've seen want $800-900 per month.

Interesting. Looking near the east or west side of the island makes sense, but need a garage. Not willing to keep my car in an open lot.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 7:33 AM

8. lefty

There is a Bently and an E type Jag in my garage that are covered and take up the prime spots. I have no idea what they pay, but I'm not sure this is the best place for you. I wouldn't trust these guys with anything high-end.

I have a friend in Chelsea who keeps his car at the WSH lot. To go to his upstate place, he has to pack his gear, leave it in the apt, ride a bike to the garage, retrieve his car and toss the bike in the back, drive back to his apt, double park on 7th, run up to his place and make it back down with gear before he gets a ticket. It's about 60 min before he's actually on the road.

Is that's okay with you, consider renting a private garage in Jersey City (assuming your trips are that way - Brooklyn if the other way). Security and no one else is driving your car.

lefty

9. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

Why doesn’t your friend uber or take a taxi with his gear to his garage? Seems like it would cut out a lot of hassle. Or does he have more gear than would fit in a crown vic?