1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

There are great videos of the Russian version of this, except it involves the "victim" hurling himself in front of a moving vehicle (or pretending to). The best are, of course, when the driver gets out and beats up the scammer.

Here you go:

2. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

Hilarious. I knew about the "bump and drop" but I didn't realize flinging yourself at cars was a thing. Thank you. These people are lucky the drivers didn't say, "Oh, well. In for a penny, in for a pound." and run them over.

This one played right after yours and the last one -- It starts at 1:56, I can't get the embed to work with a start time -- is high comedy. I cannot imagine what these people are thinking.

3. dopey

They do that in China, where the court-ordered compensation for an injury is much higher than the compensation for death. There are some videos that show the driver backing up and running over accident victims repeatedly. If I am not mistaken, Malcolm Gladwell or Tyler Cowan wrote about that in the last three years or so.

4. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

My guys were a hell of a lot slicker than those scammers. If you're new to town (or Canadian) you could easily fall for it.

I wonder if this would work with shoes. Position your Stacy Adams clad foot so that a tourist walks across it then cry out, "my Edward Greens!"

lefty

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Getting a car (GT3!!!) end of this year.

Secure parking? Someone give me suggestions--preferably in downtown Manhattan. Car is only meant for fun driving on the weekends, but still want 24/7 access.

Don't tell me I'm an idiot. Too late.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

You’re an idiot..., congrats though, i’m still debating about buying car or not given I live in the city, though with a kid guess the most exciting thing will be BMW m5 or Tesla model S

7. mafoofan

We have a kid, too. Will have to get LATCH mounts installed in the rear area behind the front seats.

Fortunately, we don't need a car for anything practical, so I had the flexibility to pick something fun.

8. dopey

My mistake, the article was in Slate, so fake: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._the_pedestrians_they_hit_china_s.single.html

9. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Do you care about $$$? Not sure what GT3 is (Porsche? :confused2:), but bear in mind certain 'deluxe' makes are subject to a surcharge in many garages. I think you will find a car really broadens your kid-friendly options (and that you will take advantage of them). And as your usage increases you will be happier the closer you are to your car. We're very fortunate to have a place in our building - when we moved in 17 years ago I know people who priced spots thought it was very competitive. They definitley 'baby' some of the fancier monthlies (parked right up front, some guy always dusting/polishing them), but I assume owners are tipping heavily for that treatment...

10. mafoofan

Yes, a Porsche.

Yeah, I've seen lots of garages want a premium for "exotics". Hoping to find a friend with a situation like yours who has a spot they might want to rent out. Otherwise, will have to bite the bullet . . .

11. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

Ahh, bonus time. Doesn't it make you feel like a kid again?