• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to use the shitty film bags as kitchen bags in a kitchen without a disposal. Those things are rarely water-tight and you just end up with a trail of nasty juice down the hallway to the chute.

Lots of unstylish folks use them as an ugly bathroom/bedroom bin liner...but I'd say that 95% of that usage could be replaced with simply not using a liner. When I take out my kitchen trash, I just dump the bathroom trash in the bag...on the rare occasions that the can is "dirty", it is easy enough to wash it out.

I do use a paper grocery bag for my recycling...but I dump it into the bin and reuse it. Probably get 20+ uses before I accidentally rip it and toss it in with the rest of the recycling.

Using the film bags as trash or dog bags is just a single re-use anyways...not like you are getting 20 uses. Would be more efficient to buy thin little dog bags that use 1/4 or less of the plastic...sure they only get used once, but total plastic thrown away is less. They also make dog shit bags that are biodegradable...they can use different materials since they don't have to be able to hold weight/sharp objects like grocery bags.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live alone/Brooklyn(Boerum Hill).

I use the grocery store plastic ones as garbage bags at home. Have for years. Can't remember the last time I actually purchased standard garbage bags,

I don't have a garbage bin in my bedroom or bathroom. Only my kitchen. I have a large Whole Foods or Trader Joe's paper bag behind my bin and I just stuff the plastic bags in there as I get them. You can't see them in my kitchen as it is "hidden." I pull them out as needed.

I live on the top floor of a brownstone. No chute. I simply place the filled bag(s) on my landing, if I remember, or just take it out when I am headed out. Very rarely had an issue with leaking as I pretty much empty my garbage 3/5 times I leave my home....if it is somewhat full. I will double bag if I see that there are holes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Basically 99% of people I know do exactly as ter describes. I also live alone in Brooklyn and those small thin bags fill up in a few days and I take them out to the garbage on my way to work. I don't even have a trash can in the kitchen, I literally just hang the plastic bag from one of my kitchen drawer handles. No foodstuff ever goes into it so dripping is never an issue. It is basically the plastic from bagged greens from the supermarket and just shredded junk mail. I keep a compost bin in the freezer (we have compost pickup in Brooklyn) where any food scraps go into. I also line the bathroom trash can with them and my cleaning lady takes it out and replaces it with another one that I keep in a drawer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was walking home yesterday and this woman walking with her husband exclaims, "It's you!!!!!" I stop and I listen to how she lived in the neighborhood 12 years ago and would always see me walking around in a suit and wondered about it. Her husband was trying to pry her away from be and was apologetic. I was just like chill out, it's cool, whatever. She inquired about my suit wearing and as usual I didn't have an interesting answer for her. "I just like suits". Anyway, she was happy to finally meet "suit guy" and I gladly autographed her husband's necktie.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welp, I just bought a large carton of plastic bags. Good job curbing plastic bags, NY. Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

TAFJIR

Reaction score
Sooo...anyone else working from home? Work in banking and half of us are working from home until at least 3/30, though I expect the other half will soon follow suit.

thatboyo

Reaction score
WFH until like first week of April and then depending on how things are, either extend WFH or come back to office if it’s more calm.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same here, which is crazy because my Company is so anti-working from home. I was prepared for them to be like "we are quarantining everybody in the office and we are going to die together."

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same here, which is crazy because my Company is so anti-working from home. I was prepared for them to be like "we are quarantining everybody in the office and we are going to die together."
well more like your boss doesn't want to die, I assume he/she is more at risk than you...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I kind of feel with the staggering number of cases in NYC that at this point everybody has probably been exposed and some are asymptomatic. Could that be true?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.