1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yeah, they killed it (it helps that they're architects and know a lot about materials and construction. It also helps that they have taste). Perfect blend of old and new, and the ceilings seemed like they were 18' high.

Wish I had pictures as it set the standard for beautiful apartments to me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, we have thought about trying to find a really nice place for our last year here, but the brokers fee would kill it. I'm willing to pay the rent, but amortizing the broker's fee over the 8 months or whatever that we would be here just kills it.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

In Brooklyn? WTF. That's top of the market in Manhattan.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

There are plenty of 1BRs for $3k in brownstone Brooklyn (unfortunately...) but yeah, $3500 is very high.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I was shocked too. Barclays is right around the corner, but there's no chance of herds coming from there ending up on their street. It hit the market just as that area became hot.

they're good sized units too, and the furnishings are superior to the vast majority of buildings that have names that start with "The". There's quite a bit of extra storage in the basement, etc.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, I'm sure you could find a way to make it worth that kind of rent--even nice $3k apartments are kinda shitty in many ways. If you had done a very nice renovation, it was spacious, and included storage space, I'd imagine you'd find someone willing to pay an extra $500 for that.

Heck, if you had put some serious insulation between the floors and walls and included nice triple pane windows, you could justify it just on not hearing your neighbors' every footstep.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Isn't spring in New York lovely? What a magical time!

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I have a feeling when april hits it'll go directly into 70% humidity 80+ºF days.... you know... kind of like last year... :fu:

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

last year's winter was weird. I remember snow once really early, then no snow at all and warm temperatures.

11. NORE

NORE Senior member

I went out and found 5" of snow on my car last night around 10 and it was still sleeting and I'm in upper Manhattan. Crazy.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Last year wasn't it 70 around this time? Not sure if I want that happening in MARCH.

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

I remember taking the 6 to Pelham and walking to the beach some years ago in March. It was like 85 degrees and the busses weren't running there yet.

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

In a couple of months, we will all be complaining about how hot and muggy it is, and how our A/C bills are astronomical.

I will be foremost among these complainers, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I'm just saying it will happen.

15. Manton

my heating bill is typically 2-3x my AC bill.

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That's interesting.... What's your heating situation? We are on a natural gas fired baseboard heaters, and our gas bill during the winter to heat ~900SF is about $100. Our power bill to (barely) cool the same space during the summer is $300.

17. Manton

Gas fired recessed steam raditators.

18. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Technically, spring starts tomorrow. So you'll have to wait till tomorrow the experience the "magic". :teach:

19. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

I figured this is a pretty good place to ask.

I plan on moving to new york in the june, more specifically queens from the west coast. My friend found a place in queens for 1400 a month for a one bedroom, is that pretty standard?

Also, I plan on transferring to Queens College, hows the school? Just want to get my bachelors in accounting, and how hard is it to find a job? Would be looking for a entry level accounting job, have a couple years of experience or literally any job that would pay my part of the rent.

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Crazy. Wonder what makes yours so much more expensive.

Anyways, winter sucks and summer sucks, but the shoulder seasons are great!