Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the subway line to the JFK air train is :fu: . trying to travel with anything larger than a backpack is a hassle on those trains (which are full of commuters) towards the airTrain.

its just not worth the potential of missing a flight.... I've twice almost missed flights because of trains disruptions at broadway junction. maaaaaybe coming home with a light bag the subway is barely tolerable, but its almost always a better choice to spend the money on a cab.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Yes, it is knid of a scandal that we cannot build a train to the airport. The heathrow-paddington line is terrific for example, as is the one in rome.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this. The convenience of door to terminal when one has luggage cannot be beat.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

hong kong international airport even has the option to check in your luggage from their train's city stations. that's wicked awesome.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the convenience of the Roman one is nearly negated by the Italan sensibility in keeping to a schedule.

6. Manton

you can do that in london too, at least know you can at Victoria station for Gatwick. Not sure about Paddington-Heathrow, at least, I have never done it.

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

here's a reason why new york sucks..... (i've complained about this in other threads)... the city has almost become too dog friendly. don't get me wrong... i have a dog I love and and love that there are like 8 dog runs in a 5 mile radius of me in brooklyn.

but... there is dog shit everywhere... since dogs are so prevalent there are a rising number of irresponsible dog owners (or worse those dog walkers with 10 dogs simultaneously on leash). its on the sidewalks, on the streets, its just everywhere.

the worse is in parks. you can't really picnic with a blanket on the ground confidently anymore in most parks (even the nice ones like McGlorick in GreenPoint because there is fecal matter in trace amounts just strewn out everywhere. I remember when fall hit an there were all these nice piles of leaves for kids to play on, but they remained untouched because dogs had already pissed and shat in the area.

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Contrast that withthe Dc metro which is spotless, safe and on time but barely goes anywhere

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yes, now this is insane. We live in ostensibly the world's greatest city, and yet you cannot sensibly get to the airport via public transit. And when you do get there, those airports are practically a third world country.

:fu:

10. Manton

red line = safe.

orange line = mostly safe

yellow = occasionally unsafe

green line = frequently unsafe

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

How European. This is something to brag about. Something that elevates you over non-shit infested middle American cities.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:lol:

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

:lol:

one night last december I was approached by a large black woman walking her huge assed german shepherd while I walking my dog. when i saw she had a fucking gun holstered by her large bossom inside her jacket I thought it was going to be a :( :fu: pre -xmas mugging for me.

it turned out she was undercover NYPD and there was a NYPD/NYSD "crack down" on irresponsible dog owners not picking up their dog's shit. I was happy at the time they were taking action... but since then the area's been re-coated with feces in levels even worse than before. I guess it was an easy way to make quotas handing out $500 citations.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I rarely see poo on my street, which is comforting since I almost always see a dog being walked on it (I observed this recently as I was trying to avoid other dogs as the one I was walking had to wear a cone all week).

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The streets in my neighborhood are coated with it. You have to really pay attention when you are walking to avoid stepping in it.