1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I learned something interesting about bikes in the city the other day. A friend drives a Ducati into the city in good weather and parks on the street on 20th and 6th -- a no parking zone but for commercial vehicles. To get around that he pulls the plates. The theory, according to NYC bikers, is that it's not easy for parking maids to ID the bike without the plate and it's a pain in the ass to call a crane equipped tow truck, so they leave them alone.

lefty

2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I've heard of this, but i'd rather not chance it. It's easy enough to find parking without having to do this.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Seems a little crazy but he does it all the time.

lefty

4. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

First-clappers

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

?

6. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

A particularly annoying subset of the barbarians that attend concerts in the city.

7. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

dp

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. lefty

lefty Senior member

Please add the DMV to the list. Making me miss the sanity of the SanFo office.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

need to go to the Express DMV on 34th. Civilized and in and out in less than an hour.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Really? Can I do my plates as well? After 2 1/2 hours and my number no where near the top I'm ready to book.

lefty

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

here is what you can do there:

License X-Press Office* - NYSDMV
    300 West 34th Street
    New York, NY 10001

* Service Limited To:
    New York State license & vehicle registration renewals & duplicates & license plate surrenders ONLY. NO boat or snowmobile renewals. NO permit renewals.
    This office does not exchange an out of state license for a New York license, you must go to any full service DMV office

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's new then because when I moved back here from DC, I was able to swap my DC licence for NY one there.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks, Ed. Like an idiot, I went to the one on 125th which was a bloody zoo. Asked which line I should be in - in fact there are no real lines, it's just a mass of bitching, sweaty humanity - and waited for 45 minutes only to be told I was in the wrong line. Went back to the guy who steered me wrong at the beginning and asked WTF he would put me in the wrong line. He said, "that's our line management system." Finally left after 3 hours.

I may just drive up to some bucolic office in the Adirondacks and make a weekend out of it.

You have to exchange the plates? Can't just mail the CA plates back?

lefty

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my wife swears that license renewal at the dmv at bowling green took her less than 30min both times she's renewed. her co-workers all said the same thing. I did the stupid thing and did mine in brooklyn which took over two hours. the only reason I like the brooklyn dmv (near the atlantic station) is that there is a lot of stuff to do in the area and ample parking in the garage. I did a little shopping and had lunch during the wait (the workers there will actually give you a good estimate on how long before your number comes up).

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Everything about housing in this city makes me want to break things. Christ what a pain in the ass it all is.

16. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

Do you own or rent?

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Rent. Owning would suck too, though.

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

The DMV on 125ht can be great but you have to show up like 30 min before they close for the day. Park at the Pathmark across the street and buy something when you leave to get free parking.
    Bowling Green can be quick depending on what you're going for and like all DMV offices, when you go. Folks that go to that location are usually there around lunch hours, same sor the DMV express on W 34th and the one in Herald Sq. Either go when plebs should be working and can't get off or get screwed. Bottom line with dealing with any city agency is if you have a question, ask at least 5 people, then deduce what your gut tells you is the right answer.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  19. lefty

lefty Senior member

It doesn't become a free for all at the end of the day when people realize their number will never be called?

Sound advice on the second point.

lefty

20. NORE

NORE Senior member

Nah, the crowd has thinned out by then and the workers are finally working [toward going home]. The people you'd expect to show up late usually do and get locked out ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013