• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's friendlier than SanFo. Mind blown?

lefty

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it is pretty cool when you hit the perfect red to green combination on 5th near the Met, and then just cruise all the way down to Bryant Park in no time flat. The hoards of people are all on the sidewalk, and you're doing 40 mph and thinking "deal with it"

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's friendlier than SanFo. Mind blown?

lefty

I was thinking mainly of traffic interactions. Outside of their cars, I find New Yorkers to be generally pleasant. Of course, I find people in general to be generally pleasant.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If memory serves, he may actually have been a sales manager during the time in question. Does that make it more plausible?

I was being sarcastic.

^^Easy, cowboy. The car is free, the garage $300/mth, it's in my basement, I travel most every weekend and live 8 miles from lower manhattan where street parking is easy and free. That trip by taxi is probably $40 with tip.

Which brings me back to the original question ... do you tip the monthly garage guy? I do tip the guy at any other garage; not sure why I don't tip these guys. I do tip a doorman for hailing me a cab, but not my own doorman. I figure that's covered in a christmas tip. I guess I could hand the parking guys a holiday tip.

Yes, tipping kind of sucks. I was in a hurry the other day and the cc machine in my cab was slow as **** so I just started hitting buttons to get the hell out of there. Ended up hitting the "add 30% tip." How is that even a ******* option?

lefty

BTW, I love how the minimum tip is now 20%

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In that case they are even less likely to engage in nefarious behavior.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No train service to my neighborhood right now. Guess I'm catching up on some work for a while...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Look on the bright side. Maybe New York has one less New Yorker.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's also none of that "After you, Claude" bullshit in NYC. You know there that no one gives a flying **** about you, so take your shot when it comes or **** right the hell off.
No, not worth that much. Cars are one of those things I just don't care about. Just noticing the scowls as I pick it up and also want to be a fair guy.

I've had great luck with eye contact and a smile when asking to squeeze into a lane in NYC. Even in places like Chinatown where its aggressive asian delivery truck drivers along canal/chrystie street. My dad always is amused when I do this with his decades of driving in Boston.

My only real gripe with driving in NYC is the condition of the roads, I've bent my rims on potholes. I don't even mind the growing population of bikers (because I do bike a lot in the city), its the delivery guys on the pedaled mopeds that do third world country driving stunts (like instant U-turns from the furthest right lane in traffic).

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
every once in a while, you'll encounter some marital aid in his Ford Excursion with Virginia license plates, and he'll try to screw you at every juncture or turn figuring this was the norm for NYC driving. This seems to happen every time I rent a car, maybe 3X a year.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I had no idea there were still Ford Excursions on the road. I figured all the people driving them committed suicide when Hollywood Squares got cancelled.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking mainly of traffic interactions. Outside of their cars, I find New Yorkers to be generally pleasant. Of course, I find people in general to be generally pleasant.

Dude, week one I'm in PacHi and do a slight rolling stop at stop sign just as some guy walks out between the parked cars cars. He's 20' away and I brake to let him pass. Not good enough, he turns to face me, whips out his phone and takes a picture of my plate as he screams, "I'm going to report you!"

Week two, the leftette and I are looking at an apt and since there's no place to park I pull halfway into the driveway so my rear end is even with the parked cars and my front end is halfway on the sidewalk. I figure I'm there for 5 minutes. A woman walks downs the sidewalk and stops in front of my car as if it's blocking her. Half the sidewalk is clear and she could have stepped 3' to the side and passed, but no. Instead she pulls out her phone and yells, "I'm calling 911!"

The leftette looks at me and says, "is it possible we were mislead on how friendly this place is?"

Kinda went downhill from there.

lefty

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I'm pissing off my garage guy. Do you tip a couple of bucks each time you get your car on a monthly?

lefty

I tip them during the christmas holidays. About 15-20 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads