1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well now Mr. Big-Round-Balls, I'd actually have to disagree. Most of the people driving around east Williamsburg are driving through the neighborhood, not actually living in it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

Easy there smug asshole. Your logic makes little sense. You could say the same for cars in Wburg too, or anywhere else for that matter.

3. patrickBOOTH

I was just retorting with smugness to bring attention to your smugness. I'm saying I don't think gentrification has anything to do with it, it if you look at traffic patterns in the neighborhood it makes sense. Look at Metropolitan Ave and also Humboldt. They are always busy with traffic of people going through the neighborhood, just two quick examples. How many people do you know that live in the area own cars that they drive at least twice a week? Anecdotal, yes, but not unreasonable.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

My response was a real question, not meant to be smug. If there any general asshole condescension, it's towards real estate pushing nolita/soho/wburg to become larger than it really is.

There's a shit ton of cars anywhere with exits off the BQE (Humboldt, Metro). His argument wasn't there's a lot of people in cars driving, it's that there's people waiting in their cars. Gentrified/in-process neighborhoods have more ppl in their cars waiting.

I know only my neighbor that drives to work.

5. patrickBOOTH

I'm going to note that. Buy real estate in neighborhoods with people waiting in cars.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ok I'll bite. Why is that?

7. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

You should do a survey to figure out what they are waiting for. It's probably some sort of recreational thing. Perhaps you could gently knock on their windows and ask them if they are looking for a good time. Please report back with the results.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

Maybe real estate agents waiting for appointments with potential buyers/renters?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

If parking is anything like San Francisco you best give yourself a good time buffer for any appointed rendezvous

10. patrickBOOTH

Nyc would be 100% better if the amount of non-commercial vehicles were cut in half.

11. patrickBOOTH

Hey, remember Occupy Wall Street?

12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Haha. Did you actually calendar this?

13. patrickBOOTH

I did actually, but it didn't send me a reminder on the day for whatever reason. Good thing it was on my mente.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'm off Montrose but almost walk the dog east of that stop since the sidewalks are wide and not overly populated. It's that awkward area where East Williamsburg and Bushwick meet and everybody has an opinion. I consider that East Williamsburg until you hit Meserole and Morgan, to which I still think of it as a EW'burg and Bushwick mash up since most of the locals call Flushing Ave the start of Bushwick proper.

IDK, these people don't seem very recreational. Most were middle aged, and most were minorities (of middle easter descent. I use car model to determine the possibility of a drug dealer waiting for a car, but I never got that vibe mostly because I could see through the windows).

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Uber/Lyft drivers waiting for a call?

16. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

Reborn at Trump Tower (until the next snowstorm).

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

possible for some, although there were no obvious indicators of this (no Uber light on the window, etc). Further, it was all sorts of cars, not the Uber-standard Camry.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Could have been my driver this morning. Got to la guardia and realised I left my fly rod in the foyer. Jumped back in car, raced to town and had him wait as I ran up and grabbed the rod and hightailed it back to the airport. Made my plane by 10 minutes.

Thank you pre check.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you back in your homeland for the holidays?

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Mexico. Fishing for bonefish and permit.

The best part of the emergency airport run was hopping in a cab and saying, "there's a double sawbuck in it if you can get me to Harlem and back in 35 minutes, mack!."

Then I had to explain to the Lebanese driver what a sawbuck was. It ain't the old New York.

Feliz Navidad, B.

lefty

1 person likes this.