1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I will never give up my truck.

An another NYC note: when you make friends with the head of the co-op board and get them drunk one night you hear the best stories. Like the brothel being run out of apt 4D. Or the guy in 12A who spent 1M renovating then abandoned his apt fleeing into the night when the CIA came looking for him.

Never dull here.

lefty

2 people like this.
  2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i mean there's some caveats to this. W'Burg is not Manhattan. A car could actually be quite convenient since there's only 1 train line, crap busses, and very few cabs (but thank god for Uber). If you're a "leave BK on the weekend" type, then yeah, you can manage a car in W'Burg for non-Manhattan car prices. It's still expensive, but it could be worse, and there's a number of gas stations, plus easy access to the BQE for your Hamptons escape. We've actually been looking at getting a car but might focus first on getting into a bigger apartment first.

Never ever would have considered a car when we were on the UES. Not a chance.

3. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

You live in an extremely interesting neighborhood, even by NYC standards.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm pretty sure that's par for the course for any NYC neighbourhood.

Had my details wrong. The guy who abandoned his apt did so because of the FBI. The CIA guy (5F) was an undercover CIA operative (he was known as "the black Steven Seagal") who was arrested and convicted for drugging and raping a women in Cairo while serving as the bureau chief.

lefty

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Saving to Pocket to read later.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

Cosby was CIA?

1 person likes this.
  8. b1os

b1os Senior member

So... NY doesn't suck anymore?

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I imagine the weather is making it not suck today

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

delays on the 4-5 yesterday, which aren't unusual. Except this time the "police investigation" was because some guy decided to drop trou and take a shit. I got to see the "police investigation" from the platform.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I live in a walk-up on a pretty busy street. I was leaving my place around 9:30 pm the other night to go to Chelsea Piers when I saw someone was standing in front of my doorway, which is pretty common; it's a quiet spot that people stop to text, light up a smoke, etc. I open the door and there's a homeless guy pissing on my door frame. D&B in my view as he's vigorously shaking it out. As I'm walking past he turns and goes "Sorry sir! Men gotta go, we're all just men! We're all just men!".

Yay New York!

1 person likes this.
  12. romafan

romafan Senior member

We've had a couple of instances of surreptitious fornication in the front bushes - strangely enough, each time was M/M coupling

1 person likes this.
  13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Manton/Manton ?

2 people like this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cue the humidity.

1 person likes this.
  15. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

This afternoon I was in the Delancey St. subway station and decided to use their bathroom next to the F platform (I know). I went in and peed at the urinal while some homeless guy was in the stall, probably doing drugs. It smelled like dead livestock inside, but for some reason I felt like I should flush the urinal after peeing to sort of start the process of hygiene, hoping some good karma would bring cleanliness to the rest of the bathroom. Bad, bad idea. Water came oozing out of the urinal (which was already full of piss when I started going). I flooded the entire bathroom floor in about four seconds, and immediately ran out as soon as the guy in the stall started hollering when piss and water invaded his stall. Yikes.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    4 people like this.
  16. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

"Delancey Street
    Delancey Stree-eet
    Delancey Street
    This story can't be beat"

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have never, ever been a subway bathroom. How many stations even have them?

18. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This was one of my "home" subway stations growing up. I never knew there was a bathroom in it. I have not missed out.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

NY subway bathrooms can be scary places.

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

the worst public bathroom I ever experienced ... well actually that was in China. The worst one in the US was the DC public library.