1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Saw a DeLorean on the Henry Hudson last week. Didn't know why until I found out today was Back to the Future day.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Interesting study in contrasts. Microsoft is having the grand opening of its NYC store today, on Fifth Ave, a handful of blocks below the Apple store. They're giving away a free keyboard cover for all Surfsce purchases today. And this is the line outside an hour before opening :
    [​IMG]

There was a longer line than that on Saturday outside of Blue Bottle in the Ferry Building in SF, to get a cup of coffee (no freebies)

3. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

^If it was an Apple giveaway they'd have to reroute traffic.

Microsoft's marketing hardly leaves consumers with a sense of desirability for their products. I don't feel like I'm "missing out" if I don't have a Surface. My main computer is a PC, btw.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

to be fair, the line is the attraction in SF.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Blue Bottle is always like that, every time I've ever been there. I don't think I've ever had any coffee from there. There are so many options in the FB that I just go somewhere else. You can even get decent coffee at Compass Books and there is never a line.

6. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

The Surfacebook does look interesting.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have had Blue Bottle once, at that location. I'd gone for a weekday morning run on the Embarcadero with some friends who were in town for the SF marathon. There were only 4-5 people in line, so it seemed like the best chance I'd get.

The coffee was good, and the pastry I got was tasty.

9. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

These places are exploiting the commitment effect. If you stand in line for 30 minutes to get a cup of coffee, you have two choices when you finally make it to the end of the line. You can either enjoy the best damn cup of coffee you have ever had in your life, or you can feel like an idiot for standing in line for 30 minutes just to get a cup of merely-passable coffee. One guess which most people choose.

I don't know if these places do this intentionally, but using bad customer service to enhance customer satisfaction is a pretty clever business model.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

It works in Paris.

lefty

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

There's a hipster on the roof of the building across from me. He is shirtless, has on skeleton tights, a black mask and wings, and is running around the perimeter shadow boxing and taking pictures of himself.

Call the cops or Bellevue?

lefty

3 people like this.
  13. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

sounds no different than half the things I've seen Off Broadway. Set up a viewing area and charge admission.

7 people like this.
  14. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

You're a videographer, no? Sounds like your chance to be a YouTube millionaire.

15. romafan

romafan Senior member

The "texting-while-walking" thing is bad enough, but the folks who have to do it on crowded sidewalks while carrying an open umbrella really should be fined.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

There are better options.
    [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I feel bad for the Mets and their fans, but they really didn't do much to earn it, did they?

1 person likes this.
  18. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Yeah, the Mets came out as flat against the Royals as the Cubs did against them.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Does coming out flat really mean anything other than getting outplayed?