1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

...why NY rocks:

Has 1/8 remaining Planet Hollywoods for cheeseball touristos such as myself. (There was >100 PHs at one point in the 90s lol)

Kobe cheeseburger, shake and dumb stuff like this on the wall?
    [​IMG]
    Hell yeah :p

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

While I respect it as a NY landmark and all that, the food had really not been any good in a very long time. And they were charging about 3x for a meal that was 1/5 as good as Cafe Boulud, JG, Marea, the Modern and many other spots.

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Speaking of old NYC landmarks, I was at the reopened Rainbow Room earlier this week and it was fantastic! It is best if you can ballroom dance. The band plays a lot of Cha-cha, some swing, foxtrot, Rumba, Mambo/Salsa and even a Bolero. All American style tempo. The food and wine are over priced, but is covers the band and ambiance. The view from the restaurant are amazing, particularly during sunset. My friends were told me that the room they use now for the restaurant was reserved for events in the old Rainbow room and wasn't available to the public.

1 person likes this.
  4. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

The Rainbow Room has different bands each week. Well at least for Sunday brunch they do.... For the next couple of months Monday nights will be Max Weinberg (springsteen's drummer's big band). We went in June and saw Bria Skonberg.... Five bills plus tip to get out and that's without wine (though if you need more than two Renaissance cocktails to get a buzz you might want to check into AA). They're changing their pricing model - instead of prix fixe including the band they're going to $37 cover and a la carte dining. I don't know if I'd do dinner again but I've definitely put the brunch - $95 and a band I like such as Hot Sardines, Fleur Seule, Michael Arenella or Dandy Wellington - on the bucket list.

5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I believe I was there when the Max Weinburg band. When I was there the dinner a la carte and not as expensive as in the Fall. My favorite band is the Alex Donner orchestra. The Michael Arenella and Dandy Wellington bands I think cater more to the Lindy Hop crowd.

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Glad to see the Rainbow Room is open again. I thought it was gone forever. What were people wearing? Is there still a dress code?

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Dress code at the rainbow room is business attire. All men wore a coat +/- tie. It was quite an older crowd.

8. 1969

1969 Senior member

Not sure about anyone else, but I'd be disappointed if my dumplings weren't made in a back alley.

[​IMG]

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's how everything is made in Cambodia and its delicious. I see this as legit.

10. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Was crossing Lex at lunch time with the signal. Fire truck comes West on 51st and makes a left onto Lex. I yield, obviously. Signal changes (can't see b/c fire truck blocking). Then a City of NY sanitation van comes barreling into the same left turn and almost runs me over. Almost, as in I jumped back and still got touched by the front grill. Closest I have ever come in almost 15 years working in midtown. And I was with the light. NYC sanitation employees drafting off the fire truck, fucking perfect way to get taken out.

2 people like this.
  11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You should have stopped, dropped, rolled and called Harvey Birdman!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Harvey Birdman would have been there in a NY minute!

1 person likes this.
  13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Just updated my post!

14. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

I've submitted the following question to the SAT:

Sally buys a Salty Pimp at Big Gay Ice Cream. Sam buys a cone at Grom. Both head to the Sixth Avenue platform in the W 4th St. station. Whose frozen treat starts to boil first?

1 person likes this.
  15. alexg

alexg Senior member

Difficult question, the Salty Pimp is likely less dense, but Grom is probably served at a higher temperature. I'm assuming the Salty Pimp has more stabilizers though, so I'll go with Grom boiling first. Did I get into college?

16. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

You already know people are going to go back after they open. That, or Vanessa's Dumplings, gets more customers.

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

Anyone have a good PTAC guy? The company my building suggests doesn't return my calls (how hard do I have to try to give people money?) and I'm hesitant to look at yelp as they are mostly idiots.

lefty

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've used Accutemp out of Long Island City. They seem to get the job done.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

hoo-boy, is it going to suck next week when every street is closed!

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Seems to be a franchise operation with a shitty site. You did a service or replacement? Think I need a new compressor so it may be cheaper to just get a new unit.

Haven't kept up - when's D Day? Is it the entire park all the way to the East River?

lefty