1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sherman square - 70th and Amsterdam. There's nothing to see really - it's a tiny patch.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The movie is a classic but the moniker has not been true for at lest 40 years.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Movie is hardly a classic. Nice flick..but not a classic.

4. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

5. gdl203

I just saw a delivery guy running a red light across a four lane avenue.
    On a skateboard.
    In flip flops.

1 person likes this.
  6. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

If you want to see present-day Needle Park look along the stairways going up from the parks just south of GWB.

7. gdl203

Or the McDonalds on 8th and 35th, or anywhere around Port Authority really.

8. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

We need a drunken SF in NYC meetup soon.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it's a classic of its genre. Early Pacino. One of Kitty Winn's few films (she was also in The Exorcist). Joan Didion, JG Dunn screenplay. All shot on location with few to no extras. A great "documentary" style look at New York at the bottom.

BTW, the "park" as it existed then really doesn't any more. It was a small triangle formed by the intersection of Broadway, Amsterdam and W70th. But street widenings have clipped its size down to next to nothing. You can't even walk in it any more. It's just a little fenced off patch.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Great title and cool poster.

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  11. thatboyo

thatboyo Senior member

i feel like people on bicycles are more of a danger to me than cars

2 people like this.
  12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

My wife was knocked down by a bicyclist last night. He was traveling against traffic and hit her from behind running a light. She didn't have any serious injuries but was shaken up. I asked if it was a messenger or delivery guy. "No, hipster."

3 people like this.
  13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

A few years ago I was crossing the street at night with the light. A bicyclist, who was speeding down the street the wrong way and trying to run the redlight, had to come to a screeching halt because I was in his way. He then starting cursing me out as if it were my fault. :censored:

1 person likes this.
  14. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I accidentally clotheslined a biking hipster this past weekend on a sidewalk in Williamsburg. I turned my torso abruptly to look at something and he was going way too fast to swerve or slow down. Tiny biking hipster meets large man-wall.

1 person likes this.
  15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks. I have made a donation to a local taxi company in your name.

2 people like this.
  16. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

See my post from 2-3 years ago. Fuck bicyclists.

17. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

The two wheeled madness seen today pales in comparison to the pre fax machine 80's when lunatic bicycle messengers wreaked havoc upon the streets of Manhattan. These days I often dream of sprinkling tacks on the road course of the Tour de Central Park, sitting with a bottle of bubbly and toasting the ensuing calamity.

18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

I'll be in NYC most of next week (Tuesday through Sunday 9/1-6). Let's do it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

after a few robust rides on a bike, I'm going to say that everybody sucks. Not that cyclists aren't assholes, but I can't help conclude that many bike/pedestrian incidents occur because of multiple faults on both sides.

Sure, the cyclist was going the wrong way, and he's a dick. But you also tried to leap across the street with a stop signal because you thought you could make it across before the oncoming cars came and didn't bother to follow the "look both ways before you cross!" mantra. Or, alternatively, you thought that the bike lane is a perfect spot to loiter before the signal change and got pissed off at the "asshole cyclist who told me to move".

and lets be honest, if you're driving in Manhattan, you're not in a good mood. You're aggressive and pissed off at everything, and odds are the slower cyclist is also going to piss you off because fuck them, they're not going fast enough.