1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

No, absolutely not. It's basically the definition of a "luxury".

2. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Nope.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its nice for those weekend road trips and grocery runs.... plus there's a weird phenomena in manhattan where its easy to get around on the weekends in a car (especially places like soho where you can park w/o restrictions). if you end up renting a car a lot, spending on car rentals and things like zip car end up costing more than monthly car payments so getting a small easy to park beater car that you street park without fear can actually be worth it... especially if you have kids.

any other more expensive car in NYC for street parking is definitely an excessively expensive luxury after a certain point though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah... I keep thinking about getting one just to be able to get out of town, mostly during the summer.

Sigh.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

If you have a weekend place a car is pretty handy to have. If you just use it occasionally probably not worth it by the time you add up car payment, ins, gas, maintenance and garage compared to a rental or Zip Car.

There is another consideration: namely the time it takes to retrieve your car. Many people keep their cars a fair distance from their apts to save on monthly fees. I have a friend who lives in Chelsea and drives to his upstate place every weekend. It takes him at least 60, sometimes 90 minutes to get on the road. Call for car day before. Travel the 20 blocks to the garage. Wait along with everyone else for them to retrieve your car. Drive back to his apt and where he looks for street parking so he can load up the car with whatever he wants to bring upstate. Leave the city and wait in the tunnel traffic. Repeat when coming home.

lefty

6. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

This is exactly what I do. I like to get out of the city on the weekend and having two dogs makes it tough to take trains/buses. So I have an old, beater Volvo 240 that I got on ebay for under $3K. It still looks good and runs great. It was in pretty mint condition and only had 110K original miles when I got it. I park it on the street and jockey for position almost every other week day. Sometimes I pay people to hold spaces for me while I run and get the car. If I just cannot find a space and I'm on a street cleaning side, I take the car to work and park in a garage.

When I first got it, I parked it in a garage and that was nice, but it was getting all dinged and scratched up in the garage. I decided to try out the street situation and since I've been parking it on the street I haven't had any problems. I decided the garage wasn't worth the $350/month I was paying.

In the mid '00s I saw a brand-new BMW Z4 go through various stages of decrepitude and finally disappear while parked on the street. Someone was using it, but they didn't seem to care about its condition. It was like "Faces of Meth" except with an automobile. It was very sad.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^:crackup:

my wife keeps on threatening to give up our garage because of the bumper nicks and scratches from regular NYC-driving situations already taking its toll on our car (jetta sportwagen TDi). I was lucky and walking around williamsburg last year and an old guy was standing in front of a garage and just cold offered me his at a great price ($150/month) which was too good to refuse ( also since its 200feet away from the house).

I just love that feeling where you can jump in a car and go to the beach/for a hike/2am trip to Artichoke Basille's/4am Chinese food after poker run.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think maybe living in an area where there are always dozens of cabs fighting to pick you up and take you to all these places provides a different perspective. When I was living in Brooklyn, I wished I had a car every single day and night, so I would never have to deal with vomit-smelling car services again. Where I live now, I cannot see an ounce of a benefit to having a car. I have several dozens of zip cars within a 5 block radius, ranging from mini to BMW and MB... I could take those every single weekend and still be cheaper than the garage cost only (not to mention the car, insurance or gas). But most of all, the convenience is unbeatable.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

I have a garage in my building which also holds 6 Zip Cars. I'll keep my car for now as I own it outright and do like driving, but I could see that changing quickly.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

My problem with ZipCar is that, at least in Brooklyn where I am (Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill), it is impossible to get one on a summer weekend. You literally have to go months ahead and try to book one for every weekend during the summer and then cancel the ones you dont want. Which is nuts.

They are also not cheap for a weekend rental, but still cheaper than owning, so even though it hurts, you come out ahead assuming you aren't using it every weekend.

Right now, I just take the train to North White Plains and rent a car from the Hertz across the street from the station. Easy, and probably actually faster than trying to drive out of town on a Friday afternoon, but you can't take more with you than what you can carry, so nothing that requires lots of luggage.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sure, the density varies with neighborhoods. I know I've never been in a situation where no zipcar is available within 5 or 6 blocks - even at the very last minute (literally an hour beforehand). It's not always the car I would have chosen but there's pretty much always something.

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I have driven in Manhattan maybe half a dozen times in my entire life. The last time (that I can recall) was 2000 when I lived there and rented a car to drive to Boston.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I wish it was like that here... I would use them a lot more. They actually closed the garage closest to me, so now the nearest ZipCar is a good 10-15 blocks away. I haven't used it in over a year now because of that and the total lack of weekend availability. Suppose I should think about cancelling...

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i've always just rented from a place like Avis.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

In the city, or outside of the city?

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

in, usually for traveling out.

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

How much are you usually charged if you dont mind my asking? Every time I've looked into it, it was insanely expensive.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the rates do vary heavily for whatever reason, but usually $70-90 plus gas for 24 hours and unlimited miles. If it's a holiday weekend it could be $150, much like it was on Dec. 26 when I traveled.

the tough part is the variability in price and vehicles. On Dec. 26th for $150 I was given a piece of shit Nissan that was basically a hatchback, while back in early November I paid $40 ($40!) for a Ford Edge.

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'll definitely have to give it a try again then. The few times I've checked into it, it was close to $200 for a weekend rental, which is absurd. Thanks!

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Isn't a zipcar approx 80/dy with 180 free miles? If you want to do a weekend driving trip those extra miles could add up pretty quickly. Maybe balanced out with the included gas/ins.

Now that the surface streets/parks are somewhat working, what to do about the subways? They honestly need to be firebombed and completely redesigned. Is this even possible? 100B? 200B? Will preservationists spring up to "Save the Columbus Circle Subway Tile!"

lefty