1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Someone is trying to look cool.

Lets make a thread in which we talk about TV shows we don't write/have no advanced knowledge of so we can comment continuously about it and make grand pronouncements about outcomes?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you ever not an asshole?

2 people like this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't think I look like the asshole here, Matt.

4. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Here's a description of a 2br apt for $4,650 on East 84th St:

Fabulous 2 bedroom with 27 ft. living room plus balcony, 2 full marble bathrooms, Bosch washer/dryer and a windowed eat-in-kitchen with granite counter tops and all new stainless steel appliances. Split bedrooms offering a huge master bedroom (17.9x 11) and corner second bedroom with wall of windows! All new beautiful floors throughout.

This luxury building has 24 hr doorman, concierge, sundeck, top floor Health Club & pool which is included in the rent. West of Third Avenue. Close to all major transportation & just a short walk to Central Park, museums, and some of the best shopping & restaurants. Pied-a-terre ok.

I know, I know, the horror of living in such a place.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

ass hat might be more appropriate.

1 person likes this.
  6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

:lol: Clever

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

ohh, I just got it with your avatar. Sorry, that was accidental, I was just trying to be honest.

8. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Yeah, it's a shame how cities combine a dense concentration of museums, parks and playgrounds with a wide range of ethnicities, foods and cultures. I'm glad adults haven't been exposing children to them since Jericho 12,000 years ago.

3 people like this.
  9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Another guy got pushed in front of the subway. Is this a thing now?

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You sit, have never been to Mexico City.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

AFUCKINGMEN

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Can you NYC guys recommend some awesome lunch and dinner spots near the Grand Hyatt?

Looking to spend around $30 tops per head for lunch and up to $50 per head tops for dinner. We won't be drinking alcohol so please take that into consideration for the price as well. Not necessarily looking for anything fancy; ethnic food is welcome.

I heard there's an authentic Hunan restaurant nearby and my roommate has never had 'real' Chinese food before, so I'd like to take him there. I've never had authentic Hunan-style Chinese either so I'm very inclined to check it out. Just googled it and it's called Hunan Manor. Anyone ever been there before?

We're also looking to hit up some bars and lounges, so any recommendations for those would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I like eating at the Indian restaurants down Lexington Ave, they start about a block from the Grand Hyatt and then go down. Nirvana New York is good I think.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Cool, I love Indian food. Thanks.

Any suggestions for bars/lounges?

15. johanm

johanm Senior member

Haandi and Dhaba are the two ok places in the neighborhood (called Curry Hill, a play on Murray Hill). NYC is abysmal for indian food actually. The only place I would even consider eating for a decent meal is Moti Mahal Delux, which is in the 60s on the far east side of Manhattan.

16. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Others can comment on the authenticity, but the Chicken Biryani at Mint (50th between 3rd & Lex) is awesome.

17. johanm

johanm Senior member

Places like Mint are at best like the Shun Lee Palace and usually like the Olive Garden of Indian food. Try Moti Mahal Delux, which is a branch of a big New Delhi chain. Unfortunately you will not find notable Biryani in NYC like you can in some other cities, e.g. Shalimar in San Francisco (in the "Tandoorloin" neighborhood).

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There's like 500* Indian restaurants in Curry Hill + 100* holes in wall places where cab drivers go eat at 3am, and yet it is plausible that there would not be a place that serves decent Indian food in this city where 300,000 South-Asian americans live (mostly Indian)? hmm...

* not actual statistics

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

go to queens bro! all azin/ethinic food is there but you need to find it.

20. johanm

johanm Senior member

Gdl - it's a demographics thing. There are also a lot of Chinese people here obviously but NYC's offerings are relatively mediocre there as well with the possible exception of some Uighur restaurants in Flushing. Anyway, the issue is that there is not much of an established middle class Indian community in NYC, certainly not compared to San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, etc. Ask any Indian person you know and they will corroborate this. In terms of broad demographic trends, Indian immigrants tend to move to the west coast (tech industry) or around the country to practice medicine, engineering, etc. The ones that do stick around in the tristate area tend to shift to the burbs (e.g. central New Jersey) because of various cultural attitudes (they need space to entertain large extended families, put up their parents for months on end, etc). This all sounds ridiculously stereotypical but again I'm sure your Indian friends will confirm. The Indians that remain in NYC are usually poor immigrants (cab drivers, etc), recent immigrants in transition (medical residents, students), and young professionals (bankers, lawyers, etc), none of which are the sort of communities that establish flourishing restaurant scenes, especially not for Indian cuisine which is best prepared in large scale. I usually get annoyed when people adopt elitist attitudes about food (you can't get X in NYC) but I do think it's just a fact here.

Also, anecdotally, I believe that a large % of the "Indians" you see in NYC are actually Bengali or South Indian, both of which have excellent but distinct culinary traditions which are not what most non-Indians expect at a typical Indian place like Mint, etc. Those places, and the quintessential dishes you find there (tandoori chicken, etc.), tend to be North Indian.

To Lawrence MD - the Indian parts of Jackson Heights are great for picking up transvestite prostitutes but not so much for the food. Seriously though, there are some good places for Indian desserts (e.g. Maharaja) but have not been impressed with any of the restaurants.