1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find that the 6 is one of the worst trains in terms of A/C. The 53rd St Platform is brutal. It will be 110 degrees on it until November now.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

can't recall much trouble with A/C on the 6, but the E can be a pain. It's either freezing, or not working, or weirdly muggy in the cars ... or home to a hobo.

3. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

The N/6 Lines don't have a/c trouble, it's the amount of people going up/downtown.

4. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

This isn't just a problem in NY. Worse than their incredible send of entitlement ("Yeah, I did blow through a stop sign and cross four lanes of traffic. What's your point?"),. they have no sense of irony whatsoever. They complain bitterly about people driving their cars dangerously -- by which they usually mean driving more than 15 miles an hour and not anticipating that some bicycle will turn left from the right lane against a red light without slowing down -- but they get mortally offended if you suggest that maybe plowing through pedestrians in cross walks and on sidewalks is slightly discourteous.

1 person likes this.
  5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Cyclists who perform dangerous shit like that should definitely be fined.

As a commuter by cycling (hah) yesterday on the way home alone I was almost fucked over by a stupid pedestrian walking into the bike lane when he had the red and I had the green, he didn't even look and I couldn't see him till the last second because he jumped out from a crowd of people who were properly waiting. Thankfully I yelled as soon as I saw him, braked, and swerved out of the way. I heard him say something about pedestrian right of way, but where was he going to go while there was still car traffic passing through?! Just walk right into traffic and expect everyone to make way for him?

Not even 1 minute later I was coming up along cars who were waiting at a red and a driver opened his door not even 8 feet in front of me, I assume he didn't check his side view mirror. Thankfully I was already braking for the red, but still barely avoided getting doored. I usually keep an eye out for people getting out of parked cars so a door opening from a car waiting in traffic was new to me.

I'm a very defensive cyclist because there are so many ways for me to die. I will stop and wait for a light or all traffic to clear when making a turn from a bike lane and stay out of crosswalks until they clear. Saving a couple of seconds is not worth getting injured to me.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I have a really fancy bike (hung on the wall ... this is Williamsburg, bitches) but I'm terrified to ride it, and I'm like 2 blocks away from a normally traffic free industrial zone.

7. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

You're afraid to ride a bike, but you complain about gentrification? Ok.

When did you move to NYC? I get the sense you haven't been there for all that long.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

what the fuck does being afraid about being hit by a car/truck have to do with complaining about gentrification? I've seen numerous car/bike/pedestrian accidents, the latest of which was this very weekend on Graham Avenue while I was walking to the pet store to get my dog a hardened cow penis to chew on (whiteslash will cringe here: the accident totally ruined a set of DuraAce wheels ... which is why I would only use beater wheels to train).

9. romafan

romafan Senior member

As much as I appreciate the conscientious cyclist, I'm starting to think that there really is no place for them on the regular roadways. It is a difficult, dangerous tango with drivers and pedestrians - throw in bicycles and things start to go off the tracks. It is tough enough watching out for moron pedestrians/drivers - making a left turn you need to navigate the texters/old folks/miscreants dawdling through the crosswalk AND keep your eye on bikers coming up behind you in the bike lane - it is borderline anarchy out there

10. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, would be much better for the city if you put all of those messengers and delivery riders in minivans instead.

Lol

2 people like this.
  11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the worst are those asian delivery guys on the motorized bikes. they seem to think that since they don't need to pedal, they can just whip around on the sidewalks. pricks.

3 people like this.
  12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Why not? That's what a lot of bicyclists typically do.

It's really more self-loathing than an actual complaint.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yeah, I bought the expensive eggs.

1 person likes this.
  14. archetypal_yuppie

You di'int answer about your NYC tenure.

To answer your query:

In previous posts you've complained about gentrification and acted like pre-gentrification Williamsburger was/would have been way better.* That you're scared to bike reinforces the hilarity (to me) that you think/thought gentrification is bad. Because biking is not as scary** as having your face smashed in or getting shot.

*unless that was someone else. but it wasn't.

**i do have first hand experience, used to bike (versus dense traffic) in midtown all the time.

15. archetypal_yuppie

Capitalizing on reverse racism bonus.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

what's so fucking hard here? I complain about egg prices (but still buy the expensive eggs) and have a fear of riding my bike and being hit by a car.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you're right. Sometimes they're mexican.

And I'm part mexican, so it's not racist.

18. archetypal_yuppie

I want a Mexican wedding shirt. Or whatever kind of shirt Kenny Powers wears to the back yard BBQ, to express his inner rage. Not sure if it's considered a Mexican wedding shirt or not.

19. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Walked past a lady who looked up at the freedom tower and said, "It looks like a middle finger."

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've lived in Williamsburg since 2008 and I don't think I even have the right to complain about the influx. Not gonna lie, I don't mind the gentrification less the subway crowding. I guess I can declare myself the first wave of gentrifiers though.