1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

While I have certain fond memories of New Haven, it does have some the worst brutalist architecture I have ever seen this side of the Iron Curtain.

2 people like this.
  2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Where you there for the '67 Doors concert?

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I kind of like Brutalist architecture :embar:

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

not sure. I have never been to San Diego.

i have a wife, but no kids. If we do have kids, we have agreed that it will be in 10 years at the earliest.

there's tons of families in my neighborhood. It's not like they're being raised in a midtown office tower or time square or anything.

i have already hired Crane's to start teaching them out to fire assault rifles starting at 4 years old. Maybe sooner, depends on their coordination.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Nobody remembers if they attended Doors concerts.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

This. Life in NYC for a kid is pretty normal.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Depends on your definition of normal, don't you think?

Everyone I know who grew up in NYC had quite different childhoods from mine.

I wouldn't mind having a little one or two in NYC but I'd rather them spend most of their (as of right now hypothetical) formative years outside of Manhattan.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ha ha, ya, that's kind of true. Actually, many towns in CT are butt fucking ugly. Hartford? Rotterdam's architecture is like N Haven. After the Germans carpeted it, they filled in the canals with all the rubble from its beautiful buildings and le courbousier's minions went to town and put up this modernist poop pile.

That's sort of my take. I've met/dated people that grew up in Manhattan and they seemed a bid jaded by it. They didn't complain, mind you.

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I grew up in NYC, so consider that. So did my parents. My kids seem to be as well.

10. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Growing up in Manhattan was fucking awesome.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Are there any middle class children from Manhattan? Seems like you're either Ethnic and poor or rich and white.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

It would seem that way to you, wouldn't it?

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is not true, even now, but the trend is with you.
    You are wrong though to think the rich in Manhattan are limited to whites.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Yeah, but honestly I don't know a single person from Manhattan so that's probably gleaned from news and TV

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Double

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Normal. Kids skip to neighbourhood schools in the morning. Afterward they play organized or pick up games in the school yard. Weekends seemed to filled with the usual shit - movies, shopping, friends. Normal.

It is amazing that in middle of all this madness kids can still find a way to be kids, but they find a way.

lefty

17. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I cannot enjoy Manhattan because of amount of people, heaps of people that are roaming through it at all times. I'd like to walk freely and see buildings and sites and it is clearly impossible in Manhattan. The number of visitors to NYC grew over 40% in the last 10 years that is why Manhattan sucks and became an unlivable shopping mall.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Absolutely. In a New York minute. (See what I did there?)

Your appreciation of this fact belies your childlessness.

As a point of reference, here in San Francisco, generally considered to be more family-friendly than Manhattan, we have to drive our kids to school. No schoolbuses, and schools are not assigned by location.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This is of course a personal opinion, but the downtown areas of major cities are designed for adults, not kids. Kids may find a way, but it just seems like something huge is missing here. I guess people adapt, but something just doesn't jive with me on this topic.

Kids adapt because they don't know any different. Howard Stern had some rapper named Game on recently, he talked about how his parents were both in the Bloods gang of LA and that he would watch them get strapped up with guns and then leave to go do gang things. This was his version of normal. Point being just because you adapt doesn't mean its in the best interests of the kids.

Again, personal opinion.

20. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I have fond memories of the Yale campus from when I was little, and horrible memories of New Haven from the same time.