1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What was he doing when he was arrested? How did they know he had the knife.
    As an aside, a marlin spike is a good secondary tool to have on a folding knife (like the awl on a Swiss Army knife).

2. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

He was waiting for the subway, and he had the knife clipped into his pocket--such that the clip of the knife is visible while the knife itself was in his pocket. A police officer approached him and asked him to remove what was clipped into his pocket (the folding pocket knife). He was then processed and jailed.

Cop argued such knife is what is known as "gravity knife"...bullshit. I have the same model knife, as do many others I know. These are just very common pocket knifes with marlin spike. They are tools.

Here is something similar:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2015/01/a_few_weeks_ago_when.php

1 person likes this.
  3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Dude, what the fuck? Sorry about your friend, but you're being way overly defensive.

In terms of how bullshit the cops/prosecutors are being, you have to consider it from their perspective. Your friend was found with an item that clearly can -- and I'm sure has been, by other people, in various contexts -- used as a weapon. It's a knife. So is a butcher's knife. A machete is a tool with a perfectly innocent primary use. So is an axe. So is a hammer. So is a screwdriver.
    All can be pretty effective weapons as well. All have been used to kill people.
    So when somebody is found to have one of those weapons on them, the cops/prosecutors have to make an assessment: given the totality of the circumstances, do we think it's more likely this person was carrying it for the purpose of having a weapon, or to use it for its primary purpose. Were they at a job site where one typically uses that tool? Or traveling to and from that job site? Or were they at a roller derby match, in dark alley, or in a crack house?
    I obviously don't know what happened, but I can imagine it's possible that the circumstances that led to the cops or whoever finding the knife on him could be relevant. I.E., was he carrying it openly, or did he find himself in a situation where the cops concluded they needed to check him for weapons and found the knife in the process?

Just saw your response above. Yeah, I'd agree with you that those facts definitely weigh in favor of it being toward the bullshit side of the spectrum.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

is your friend black?

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Follow Biscott's link and the related articles linked from there. It is actually a more interesting circumstance than you describe. I am not sure what the police version of the story is, but it seems like this is pretty abusive.

6. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

This is what your talking about, except his has a clip:

[​IMG]

Many objects have the capability to kill. Should everyone found with an object that may cause harm to another have to go through jail, bail and trial?

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

No, of course not. But it's also not very workable to say that we can never consider anything a weapon if it as at least one non-violent purpose.
    That's why it's a context-specific decision. Sounds like a really lame decision in this instance.

8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

You will never, I say never, legislate yourself into safety. You can't outlaw everything and you can't write vague laws which give the police the power to overstep the bounds of propriety. I mean, you CAN, but you shouldn't. The solution is simple. If someone is not behaving in a way that is threatening, leave them alone. I don't care if they are carrying a rifle, a samurai sword, or a folding knife. If they aren't harming anyone leave them alone. Is it coincidence that black people are harassed for things like this more than white people? Probably not.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

After reading Bisco's link I would put forward that this "gravity knife" policy, as the article describes it, would indeed be something that sucks about NYC.

1 person likes this.
  10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[​IMG]

11. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

From the cop's point of view:
    -It's an easy arrest.
    -It shows proactive policing, which is pleasing to the brass.
    -It's used positively in the precinct's weekly CompStat results, which is pleasing to the brass.
    -If arrest is made close to end of shift, you're talking minimum two hours of OT for paperwork and processing.
    -If charges are dropped, it will be weeks, months from now - an eternity in cop time - and no one in the brass pays attention anyway.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

How is it going to be expensive?

-Was this his first arrest?
    -Is he on probation/parole?
    -Were there any other issues during the arrest that have not been stated?

If you mean that he will need a lawyer to fight his case....BS. Just go with the public defender(if the answer to the 3 questions above are no) and tell him to relax.
    If you mean that he will lose $$ by having to go to court....ok.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Ter, are you actually trying to shrug off a criminal weapons charge? That's serious shit that can a young guy with a future a lot of headaches. I cannot think of all the trouble that would give me with some of my various licenses come renewal time.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Absolutely not.

My response was to the "expensive" charge.

Licenses in NYC are not that "popular" as they are in other locations. What license of yours would have problems come renewal time?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Think professional licenses. They are sort of big on this shit.

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Agree.
    Like I said, I was referring to the "expensive" portion of the post.

And lets not jump the gun.....that charge can get dropped if the guy had/has a valid reason for carrying the knife.

FYI.....It's silly for someone in NYC to carry it out in the "open" like that. Like the laws or not....it's just silly.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It was in his pocket and only the clip was showing.

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Gotta be a little smarter with the NYPD in NYC.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

truth

2 people like this.
  20. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

He is lucky he didn't get shot....or taken down commando style.
    The laws may be "fucked" up....but it is STUPID to carry the knife like that in NYC.