1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Not a Cav fan. Sweet personality, but those are ugly dogs.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not going to lie, I think I only know what like 2 or 3 dog breeds look like. Naming them goes right over my head.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

You really are a special little snowflake.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  4. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Let me guess. Small, Medium and Large?

5. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

I don't keep pets around but this is how I remember them.
    Golden retriever - Air Bud, and every white family on television seems to have had one.
    Bull Dog - Attacked Michael Jordan in Space Jam
    Pug - The miniature bull dog from Men in Black
    Doberman - Mr.Burns has them, and they're plastered all over Givenchy t-shirts and other stuff they sell.
    Corgi - Queen of England's pets
    Husky - Oh look, wolves. I think they were in that one movie about dog sled racing
    Pomeranian - Really fluffy, puffy and small looking
    Great Dane - So tall

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  6. patrickBOOTH

I don't get it. :confused:

Those aren't breeds, you idiot.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Just marvelling at your mystique.

lefty

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think the dogs on the fashion tee shirts are Rottweilers?

9. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

^Those too, Greg.

[​IMG]

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I wouldn't want one because I don't want to be the guy walking a Cav in Brooklyn.

the other day, this guy in the elevator was talking to another guy about his Labradoodle. Yes, the guy looked like a pussy.

you probably know the following breeds and what they look like: golden retriever, labrador, dalmatian, dachshund, pit bull, pug, boston terrier (Daisy), poodle, Chihuahua, schnauzer, bull dog, and german shepherd. In other words, 95% of dogs in the USA.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Dude. Labradoodles are awesome. You get two of the cutest, friendliest dogs put together, plus the smarts and... uh.... hypoallergenicness? of the poodle. What more could you want?!

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I like the sidewalk to clear in front of me.

Which happens. :confused:

13. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Do tell.

I have a great deal of time for working breeds. Yappers -- which are, collectively, any breed that can be worn as a fashion accessory -- not so much.

This is a good place to mention one of my, uh, pet peeves about NY: dog strollers. To be sure, this goes on in other cities but it seems much more noticeable in NY. Maybe it's because the sidewalks are more crowded. But when I see someone "walking" their dog in a stroller, well, it seems to me that they are unclear on the concept. Kid's strollers, which are now often the size and weight of light infantry vehicles, are bad enough. But people using up valuable sidewalk/aisle space to push their dogs around . . .

14. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

No I sprinted off the train at Canal when the conductor announced that Jay/MTech was the next stop. Then I found the 4 (running on the 6 track between Canal and City Hall) and it took me to Fulton. This whole trip was a transit fustercluck; probably karma for flying into EWR. But it was for a job interview and I got the offer. So a new reason for NYC not sucking will be the return of Nick Carraway.

BTW wouldn't it have made sense during the construction of the Fulton mega-station to put the westside trains (123) on the west side of the station and the eastside trains (456) on the east? Oh well at least I know when the apocalypse comes and it's raining blood that I can walk underground from Wall/William to St. Paul's Chapel for my salvation.

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Used that station last night and ended up walking what seemed like forever and up and down stairs to get to the 2/3 from Broadway and Fulton. Next time just going to walk at street level to get to them.

16. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

What is everyone's thoughts on stuff you should see the second time you're visiting the city? It's been a few years since I last went and my taste in clothing has definitely changed, so there will be some different stores to visit there. But I'm mainly asking, as I've seen most of the tourist-y stuff like boat trip to Ellis Island, Rockefeller, Ground Zero and such, but what are some must-see stuff most people usually miss their first time? For now I'm planning a trip to the Met, the Public Library and Brooklyn Flea Market, but would appreciate other suggestions. Perhaps it's worth visiting MoMA again, or should I go somewhere else when I've been there once already? Hope it's okay I ask in this thread - I searched and read other threads but they seemed more targeted towards people visiting their first time.

17. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Personally I usually take relatives visiting different places to eat. There is a vast array of restaurants in NYC representing cuisines from around the globe.

18. patrickBOOTH

I don't know what a German shepherd is. I do know a greyhound because they are the sleekest, coolest looking dogs. They are the sleek black Oxford of dogs.

19. patrickBOOTH

Markets are fun when they are outdoors. Chelsea market, eataly and such. I find that people from out of the city enjoy parks as well, Washington square, central by Bethesda fountain and even just walking around the village.

20. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Definitely plan on eating a lot of nice places as well, but I've found a fair of amount of recommendations in other threads. I'm more looking for the stuff to do in-between the eating. Of course if anyone has that one recommendation for a restaurant that everyone needs to try I'm open to it [​IMG]

Chelsea Market seems nice, isn't it indoors, though? And Eataly is a place I'd suppose you go to see the market and eat lunch? Definitely enjoyed walking around in Central Park last time.