1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I drove from our place on the Willimasburg/Bushwick border to the UES yesterday, and it took just over 20 minutes. Amazed.

2. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Unfortunately, not all UES is cheap. The frat dorm avenues are, but the nicer areas not so much

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

The Upper East and West sides have always been the most interesting neighborhoods for me. When you combine the residents' relative wealth, age, and degree of social establishment/ interconnectedness compared to the other parts of the city featuring so many transient professionals, they seem like the only parts of the city qualified to produce enough batshit insanity behind closed doors to source a Telemundo soap opera. It's hard to walk down Park Avenue without fantasizing about the inheritance battles and generational-gap sex affairs taking place a few stories above.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Cheap? Hasn't the UES always been one of the more expensive neighbourhoods?

lefty

7. gdl203

There's a lot of shares full of recent college grads between 3rd and York. There's relatively inexpensive options in UES (compared to downtown or Chelsea for example).

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

It's gotta be only a matter of time before the UES is no longer affordable. Assuming the 2nd Avenue line partially opens in 2016, I don't see why that eastern area towards Yorkville wouldn't instantly become many people's best option to commute to midtown.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I honestly don't think the real estate values and rent levels are sustainable across the whole city. After the tech bust things will correct.

10. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

11. gdl203

I don't blame him. 15 years in NYC. 14 years of which I would only find myself in the UES to go to Whitney, Guggenheim or Met. 1 year living here.

12. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Tech is still small compared to the established pillars - finance, law, general corporate

Values were correcting in 09 until the gov't/Fed decided to prop up housing and finance and reinflated everything

UES: I knew people that loved Dorrian's. Yuck.

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

At least FiDi has multiple transit options. All the UES has is the 4/5/6/ and buses.

When we were looking for a new place to live the places on the UES offered the most bang for you buck as far as space vs cost goes in the city.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

4-5-6 is a small price to pay

ehh, we finished an extensive apartment search this summer, and I think you need to add "niceness" to the fold. We found much more space for the price in places like the LES, but a lot of places were run down dumps. The new construction down there has some really nice options that are pricey, the only risk here is shoddy construction ... we looked at a place and while it looked nice, the walls were so thin that you could hear the neighbor's TV.

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Only having the 4/5/6 would be a huge factor for me. The UES would have to overcome a lot for me to seriously consider a place there.

Agreed with the niceness factor. We saw some new places in Williamsburg where the construction was shoddy and decided for the price we might as well just live in the city.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i never had a problem with the 456 lines, and I used them for 6+ years before moving to W'Burg. They're not perfect, but if there's was a problem with one line, I'd just take the other. Rarely would all the lines be down, though it has happened and this is certainly a pain.

the upside to the 456 is consistency - waits over 5 minutes were always rare, even late nights. I find that the West Side lines are tricky when it comes to consistency even though there's many more lines .. I've been stuck on the A/C platform for a while before. I've also wound up way uptown on a train that went right from 59 to 125 (why wouldn't you stop on the UWS???).

We are very lucky when it comes to general people sounds ... to one of our walls is an exterior wall, the other is structural, one faces the yard with windows, and the hallway wall is damn thick and has a sound killing vestibule for the front door.

and we have neighbors who don't give a shit about noise I make. As long as they don't give my dog some of their coke, we're all good with whatever.

17. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

My thoughts exactly. Some newer places I could easily hear people upstairs or through walls. When I was in FiDi in a converted commercial building, everything was dead silent and perfect, of course other than actually living in FiDi.

18. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

From a non-NY perspective, they have never been sustainable. Bad, expensive real estate in NY is like terrorism in Iraq. If you live there, you get so used to it that it becomes just a part of daily life. But while you think it's no big deal, people outside of all that are aghast at the horrible conditions you live in and are feature you in "Save the Children" pledge drives.

19. gdl203

We're okay, really. But thank you for your concern.

4 people like this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Colorful, but "sustainable" /=/ "the same as in my town".