1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

And deprive you the pleasure of leaving the city? I'm not that cruel.

I've only driven within the city maybe twice. I learned quickly that cabbing it is far easier.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I thought it was because NYC doesn't rely on school buses for kids schoolkids. Subways and city buses usually in operation so there is no danger to children travelling to school

[​IMG]

This is not mine. Since I lived in Queens but went to HS in the Bronx I was given a C-2 (Combination bus & train) pass

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

why do people grow cabbage on the sidewalk?

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

There used to be (may still be) corn growing in the median on Upper Broadway in the 100s.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had those, too. And because I went to religious schools, mine was good on Sunday, also. They were color coded by month. My daughters have them as well - one is good on Sunday and one is not. Theirs are good for the whole semester, so there must be a good business trafficking in "lost" metrocards. I know the school keeps a log of them, so maybe "lost" ones are disabled remotely when the student is issued a new one.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

all of these snow piles remind me of the time I got mad at my parents and I thought it would be a good idea to seek revenge on them by spraying water all over the big pile of snow that the plows left at the end of the driveway.

7. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Senior member

I am from Europe and temporarily live in NYC: Can someone explain to me why some people stick around at the bottom of the stairs at some subway stations rather than wait on the platform (specifically the Essex St station below the platform for the J and Z towards Broad St)?

Also, is there going to be a NYC meetup anytime soon?

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

these people, along with those who sit on the platform benches but never seem to get on any train, are a deep mystery and have been discussed many times in this thread.

9. thatboyo

thatboyo Senior member

those ppl are probably waiting to see whether the train that comes in is an M or not. The lower level has F trains which has similar stations with the M going uptown

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Industry or non industry?

lefty

4 people like this.
  11. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Senior member

that seems to make sense. Kinda freaked me out, I thought I was somehow doing it wrong... ;)

12. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Senior member

Depends on the industry... Seriously though, I am just a consumer...

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Maybe they are trying to decide between the train and the bus? Not familiar enough with that station to determine why the people there do it.

14. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

This makes sense. I do this at West 4th when trying to catch the first train that comes between the A, B, C, or D.

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

We schedule them, at a minimum, around the Tournament of Champions squash matches staged in Grand Central. The Tournament is in January, but not sure of the venue for next year as rumor has it that Grand Central has permanently let out portions of Vanderbilt Hall for another food court.

BTW, your Swiss compatriot, Nicolas Mueller did very well this year, nearly winning a match against the eventual champion.

16. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Senior member

I guess I missed that, which is kind of stupid as I've been here since August and will only stay until June. I meant to go to the Men of the Cloth screening, but missed that, too. Oh well....

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

wife woke up and yelled at me for going out with my crazy neighbors and smoking all night.

vindicated by the fire.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

That's kinda funny Gome, but I also hope everyone is safe around that fire.

19. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

there's soot all over my yard. the smoke was going directly over our place.