1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Like a new suit?

Of all the things that disrupt the city (PR Day parade, UN General Assembly, A&F on 5th) this is the least annoying. 26 miles through NYC on fleet foot seems a hell of an accomplishment. I caught the elite runners at around the 2 hour mark through Harlem and, yes, they're all winners.

lefty

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I was in Ft Greene at around the 8+ mile mark. Caught the women and men elite runners plus the waves of people after(I spotted Caroline Wozniacki running by.) I think the Marathon is a great NYC event.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

least annoying in person. most annoying on facebook.

then again, facebook has become annoying for everything. My news feed boils down to pictures of stupid babies, marathon trainers, and people sharing articles that almost always contain the phrase "this guy pretty much nails it" or titles that say "25 things that every _____ must know about _____" or "25 things that only ____ would understand"

1 person likes this.
  4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The winning time is about a 5 minute mile for 26 miles. I'm not sure if I can even sprint a 5 minute mile pace for a quarter mile.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes, super impressive. I think the knock is not on these athletes, but on the people who make a giant deal about it via social media when in reality it's just a long spirited jog.

in any event, big props to sugarbutch. Reserve 50% of the props for completing the race, and 50% for overcoming any thoughts of "hey let me put my shoes on and see how the weather is ..... yep, fuck that shit, back to bed"

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Where did Ragen Chastain finish?

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i was pondering this, and realized something interesting. Usually, when people say "parade" it's really a warning to stay away. The marathon is pretty much the opposite as NYers will flock to the sidelines to cheer people on.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

And the nice thing about the marathon is that the participants are doing they're best to get it over with as quickly as possible.

lefty

3 people like this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

These runners are treated like heroes. I mean, ok, I get it, it is hard to run many miles. But it doesn't discount the fact that it really has no greater importance to the world than being a race.

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

It's battling obesity and making Obamacare more affordable for all.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Running is bad for you. Jim Fixx!

12. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

There is a large fundraising component for many of the amateur racers. My wife ran last year and raised $8k for Fred's Team, which is affiliated with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. A quick search for this year's total of all of the ~300 charities involved is around ~$16.5 million.

13. patrickBOOTH

I'm aware of the fundraising and have donated to many of them.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my wife did fundraisting things for the NYC Triathlon and said it was a pain in the ass. Next year will be race only.

15. patrickBOOTH

I got hit up for a lot of fundraisers this year. More than in the past.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It was far from my best athletic performance, but given the interruption of my training, I was happy to finish. Although I finished last year more than 90 minutes faster, I had no goal other than finishing and enjoyed myself much more. Raising money also helps to justify the effort.

It's a fine city you have there. My elder son, however, thinks it's nuts to be around so many people all the time. He's truly a Californian. He would prefer Manhattan Beach to Manhattan. Kids...

17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

No offense to your fine progeny, but he likes California as a place to get away from overcrowding??

18. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

are you anti-California now too :confused:

3 people like this.
  19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Truth be told, Manhattan Beach is certainly less crowded then Manhattan Island. That said, more people vapor lock on the sidewalk in Manhattan Beach, so it may be hard to tell the difference.