1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

Can you elaborate as to whether this is east or west?

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I was walking down 7th and 8th Ave.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, in the office now, which re-opened today. At home, we have no power, no water (pump as you mentioned) and no cell connectivity (powered towers are just too far). I had to walk 20+ blocks yesterday simply to get a cell signal and send a couple of messages. Yesterday morning was an eerie sight downtown: hordes of people just walking up. Some were just looking for signal, others were carrying backpacks, grocery bags, suitcases... basically walking up. It reminded me of a less dramatic version of The Road where everyone is walking in the same direction.

All said though, a much better situation than all these families whose home got flooded or lost possessions or home.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

My morning commute was up 1st Ave up to 42nd. Office on 42nd has power.

5. gdl203

6th & 8th ave street lights are on from 26 & up, stores also seem powered right after 26th. On Park, I looked up from 21st and could not see a single street light on all the way to the Met Life so it's very possible that the blackout goes up farther on the east side

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Make sure you avoid the Machines area. They will grab you to use as a battery.

1 person likes this.
  7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Drove through Lincoln Tunnel last night and then cross town to the 59th St Bridge to make way to parents' house in Queens where electricity and running water still exist. It was very easy 40th street on up.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Bloomberg just announced a carpool rule for all Manhattan-bound commuters from 6am to midnight tomorrow and Friday.
    For the following bridges/tunnels only cars with three or more people will be allowed to enter the city.
    Lincoln Tunnel
    Henry Hudson Parkway
    Triboro RFK Bridge
    Queensboro Bridge
    Williamsburg Bridge
    Manhattan Bridge
    Brooklyn Bridge

**Restrictions will apply to taxis, except for the hours between 4 p.m. and midnight to facilitate shift changes

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's the trojan horse to get his congestion charging scheme into place!

1 person likes this.
  10. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

11. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

I drove down the West Side HWY last night to help out some friends on W20th and it was strange how everything was lit until you hit 34th and them boom, blackness. Looks like our servers are still down on 28th & Park so I stayed in today, that and school is out. Driving around Hamilton Heights there were street closures due to large trees down on cars, etc. Still nothing close to some of the footage I've seen over the past few days which was horrific.

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I totally got off easy.

I propose a 10 day moratorum on posting reasons why NY sucks. NY deserves a break.

14. gdl203

Well, I've got one more before moratorium goes in effect: disaster profiteers. I understand the concept of supply & demand, free markets, etc... but there are moments when basic decency should supersede those.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure that's unique to NY. Plus ...

[fran] price is just a way of regulating scarcity. in distaster situations, certain goods become more scarce than others, so the market regulates that through higher prices, who's to say what's a "fair" price for scarce goods in this or any situation? [/fran]

16. ama

ama Senior member

Like the $5 umbrellas that become $10 when it starts raining.

17. gdl203

There's a difference IMO. You have hundreds of people volunteering and giving away food, batteries, supplies to help others in a tragic moment like this. And then, you have those who will exploit the bad fortune of others to make an extra buck.

1 person likes this.
  18. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

if you lower personal income taxes, this would not be an issue.

3 people like this.
  19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's the double-whammy that chaps my ass. Tons of hourly workers who won't get paid a cent while their employers are closed are then confronted with the profiteers "regulating scarcity."

20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

In the spirit of community goodwill, care for my fellow man and moral rectitude, I am proud to announce that I have not raised the price one bit on my storm essential ties.

4 people like this.