• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll be in NY for work the week of August 12. I may bring lawyerkid, who has not been there since she was an infant. We'll likely do some obvious tourist stuff, but I would welcome suggestions for stuff that wouldn't suck for a 13 year old girl. She's an avid dancer, so tips about shows worth seeing (or non-dance stuff) would be great. Thanks

Some suggestions:

-http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/summerstreets/html/route/route.shtml

-https://www.facebook.com/ConeyIslandSandSculpting

-http://www.brooklynflea.com/markets/
(I recommend the Smorgasburg down by the Brooklyn Bridge Park. Great views of the NYC skyline and good food. You can also explore the park.)

-Agree with a previous post, check Time Out NY a few days before you come to see what is going on.

-Also check the schedule for the Seaport:
http://www.southstreetseaport.com/events/

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be in NY for work the week of August 12. I may bring lawyerkid, who has not been there since she was an infant. We'll likely do some obvious tourist stuff, but I would welcome suggestions for stuff that wouldn't suck for a 13 year old girl. She's an avid dancer, so tips about shows worth seeing (or non-dance stuff) would be great. Thanks

If you're staying through Saturday check out the Jazz Age Lawn Party on GovIsl. 5000 attendees per day, two band stages, loads of dancing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a lot of friends that go to that Jazz lawn party. Such an incredible hassle to get there and back.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So, the pattern this summer has been, every Monday a new high pressure / high humidity Gulf air mass comes in and builds to a wretched Wednesday, cools slightly to a still massivly uncomfortable Thu-Fri, then is much nicer on the weekend when I can wear shorts and t-shirt, but is back to gawdawful by the following Monday-Fri when I have to wear a suit.

Also, it gets immensly better whenever I leave town, but then returns to awful the moment my plan lands in the Tri-State area.

Thanks, New York!

And, the AC in my house konked out last night.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, it gets immensly better whenever I leave town, but then returns to awful the moment my plan lands in the Tri-State area.

They say the sun broke through the clouds the day I left SF.

lefty

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was never much bothered by the tech people in the Bay Area but they have gotten exponetially douchier in the last 18 months. I think I prefer the New Left. I know I prefer the hippies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads