Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

In your pajamas while drinking hot chocolate?

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

There are accessible stairs somewhere. I've always wanted to try and avoid that elevator.
    Seemed pretty straightforward to me even if you walked in from Broadway and Houston. Now the Canal Street Station that is a labyrinth.
    I'm walking if the street is clear regardless of what the sign says.
    In Midtown you can get from the 7th ave 49th St. yellow line train station almost to 5th ave underground because of the Rockefeller concourse.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Take the A or C to 168th. I commuted there for 5 years without catching TB and I consider that a win.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Mom and Dad bought me the unicycle as a graduation gift when I completed my MA in Medieval European Comparative Literature.

[​IMG]

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Well, that was a perfectly hellish commute.

1.5 hours, three train changes, and ended up about 10 blocks from where I should have. FML.

6. tropics

tropics Senior member

ouch. union square / floods?

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

water main break in the Village, I heard on the radio.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A bunch of people piled into my office late mentioning a water main break. I must have gotten in before it happened because my commute was pretty normal.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

oh yeah, that's why i'm late. that water break.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, water main break. The A, B, C, D, E, F, J, M, and Q trains were all screwed.

It was kinda nuts--every train I got on seemed to have a completely ad-hoc route. Not just "the F is running on the C line", but "THIS F is running on the G. The one behind this one is running on the A, but is making these two additional stops." Hence all my changes. I'd get a few stops closer, then the route would change and I'd have to figure something else out.

When the first screw up happened, I debated just going home and working from there. Am regretting not doing that now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

what's the deal with people who feel the need to honk their way through intersections? I'm not talking about situations where pedestrians are gunning it when they're not supposed to, rather the drivers who feel the need to do this at every intersection. Just this morning, traffic was going just fine, pedestrians were stopped, and this giant beer truck just laid on the horn as he was going through, and those fucking horns are loud. He was going right with the flow of traffic, and no pedestrians were in the way, he was just being a total dick. Like 4 people yelled at him to shut the fuck up since what he was doing was completely unnecessary. Fuck those drivers.

12. patrickBOOTH

^That also bothers the hell out of me. People are such assholes. The city is loud enough we don't need these dickheads beeping willy-nilly on their little joyride.

It also bothers me when somebody is driving really fast down a street and people are crossing in an intersection and the car is clearly going fast and they just bale their horn and make seemingly no attempt to slow down. It is just move out of my way as I got 60 mph down a residential street.

People use their horns way too much. They use it to tell others they think they are an asshole, and not their intended use of avoiding an accident.

I think there is some city, I forget which, but any car sold in the city has the horn disconnected. It wasn't an American city, obviously.

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Yeah I know the station, but how do I get to these secret stairs? Is it near the elevators?

14. patrickBOOTH

I've said it before and I will say it again. New York is partly what it is because of the walkability of it. It is part of the enjoyment of living here. If you don't do it you are not doing yourself or the city any justice. What it all comes down to is wheels. Yes, wheels. Whenever one acquires wheels, by whatever means, roller skates, razor scooter, car, bike, whatever, they turn into entitled assholes. Remove the wheels, remove the problem. I'm team foot.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i mean, it's certainly annoying when you're driving up to an intersection and people are crowding it, but in my experience that only happens a select intersections that have subway connections and are naturally super crowded (Times Square especially). I've learned to avoid these, and any other intersections I'll naturally lay off the gas a bit just in case. I'm a pedestrian the majority of the time, but having driven a bit in the city, I see how much it's a give and take relationship between the two groups.

agreed that people use the horn WAY too much here. yeah, it's a loud city, I know that's part of the condition of living here, but people can be just total assholes when it comes to the horn.

a few years ago, there was this new horn that seemed to be trending. It was basically a blistering screech noise on top of the normal horn noise, and it was horrid. I think these were cracked down on as I haven't heard one in a long time, thank fucking god.