Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I drive everywhere. More often than not it's asshole pedestrians I'm dodging, not asshole drivers.

How hard is this to understand?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lefty

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's New York, walk like everybody else, you prick.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Watch. Learn.

[​IMG]

lefty

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

lol. prick.

on my block, there's some guy who always parks his Audi S4 in the general vicinity of my building. Over the past 2 years, that car has just been destroyed thanks to street parking. The worst was when he parked at a corner, and it was snowing, and a car was clearly going too fast to make the turn and plowed right into the damn Audi. Big time damange to the rear that he got fixed.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the more people that walk/commute increases the amount of human trafficking.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That's one thing that amazed me about Tokyo. Nobody ever jaywalks. Even if the street is empty

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

They would if the emperor told them to...

8. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

More than anything I'm embarrassed for the people in that video. Really super lame stunts or tricks or whatever they are pretending. I mean - guys on ATVs? The one guy who was walking his bike in circles? These guys should watch some x games and realize the world has advanced in the last 50 years. Who are they trying to impress?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

you know what the guy on the ATV probably did after the wheelie? SPIT ON THE SIDEWALK. Badass, 'murrica.

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Do really long subway stations piss anyone else off? I never know which way I'm going because there are shitty markers, so I'll walk like 1/8th of a mile in some of these damn things before I can find a way above ground, which inevitably leaves me farther away from my destination.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can be good in inclement weather to strategically hop from one place to another via crazy long subway connections.

12. Wade

Wade Senior member

i wish more office buildings would be connected to train stations kind of like how the New York Life building is with the downtown 6 28th st station

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

As a pedestrian, motorist, and cyclist in NYC I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what it takes to get about in a safe and aware manner. Take this morning's scenario, I would never try to take a large vehicle and time an acceleration on a turn, through a crosswalk which has the "WALK" signal, between groups of pedestrians no more than 15 feet apart. Sheer stupidity. A driver in NYC really should be more restrained when it comes to turns into a crosswalk. That said, I also make sure to be aware of cars coming down a street and NOT jump out in front, or anywhere near it, until it has safely passed. Same for cyclists, forcing me to look both ways for those law breaking delivery guys (I don't complain when they bring me my food quickly though...). When on a bike I'm hyper aware of pedestrians, vehicles, signals, dogs, trash and detritus, parked cars (drivers and passengers opening doors), skate boarders, joggers, and pretty much anything else, has my fingers close to the brakes and ready to perform avoidance maneuvers. I don't run reds, I don't ride against traffic, I don't go on sidewalks, I dismount if there is signage to do so... I guess shitty drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians irk me so I try to be non-shitty in my choice of transportation.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

fact I didn't realize: last year, 156 pedestrians were killed on NYC streets. That's 3 per week, which strikes me as being a lot. 7 so far in 2014. Yikes.

Drivers hate pedestrians and cyclists, cyclists hate pedestrians and drivers, pedestrians hate cycists and drivers, etc. EVERYBODY hates adults who use Razr scooters on the sidewalk.

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I commute via unicycle.