Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

back in the rental market... lawd it's hard to find something decent <$3,000 a month.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

my wife really wants to move, but I know we pay a really good rate, so i'm dragging my feet.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Yellow cab drivers are total maniacs. It's a wonder they don't kill someone every day.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Really sorry to hear this, dopey.

5. theebadguy

theebadguy New Member

I'm from Houston and I love the shit out of New York, but I can say that New York sucks because of the people they really feel themselves.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

30 minutes earlier a 72-year-old guy was killed by a tourist bus and my sister knew the woman who was decapitated by a garbage truck a few years ago.

Tragic story.

lefty

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

A big semi truck tried running me down tonight, in a crosswalk and I had the light. *sigh*

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

I love it when trucks scream along a side street trying to make a light. Couple that with the privileged daze most NY pedestrians function in and it's a miracle people aren't killed on a daily basis here.

lefty

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

it was maybe 1+ years ago now, but I was down in the LES to get my haircut, and I stubled across a scene where a guy was run over. By a cement truck.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The street I live on is very quiet and it runs perpendicular to another street that acts as kind of "U-turn" that cars use to get onto a highway. Cars come screaming down this street towards the stoplight and it drives me fucking nuts as I walk on it. For some reason :rolleyes: they are usually POS foreign cars all lowered with loud exhausts and shiny hubcaps, or ancient luxury cars with LED's and bumpers hanging off. I don't know what it is about POS cars and their owners that need to drive like fucking maniacs. I have been considering calling 311 and asking for speed bumps or something on the 1.5 block stretch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This happened again to me in the same intersection it happened to me last year, in the same weather... so weird.

A big armored truck was making a left onto a main avenue, I had the cross light, he was gunning his engine trying to make for a small space between me and the people ahead. He barely slows down in time, while completely in the crosswalk lane, I held my hands in the air and said "what the fuck are you doing?" and then pointed at the signal. Fucking idiots.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i complained about this a while back, and I was surprised at the backlash, but some of the trucks that are on NYC's streets are WAY too fucking big.

13. patrickBOOTH

I think generally just too many people drive in NYC. I don't even understand it. I hate taxes, but I would love it if they could somehow tax the hell out of all non-commercial vehicles on the streets.

Big trucks are unfortunately necessary for like, delivering stuff and construction, but there are too many joyriders out there who drive like fucking assholes and have no real reason to be on the road other than a story they made up to rationalize it. I have said it before and I stand by it: If you want to drive around like a dickhead move to L.A.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

15. patrickBOOTH