Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/12/metro-north-time-sheet-abuse.html

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was walking and there was this group of anarchist punk hobos all in a Pigpen-esque (from Peanuts) dust cloud. This woman with dyed reddish burgundy hair is walking near me and the punks yelled at her, "We love red hair!!! But it ain't red down therrrre!!!!!"

I probably would have thought it was really funny, but I was on the phone and they yelled it very loud and I found it annoying.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Good sky right now.

lefty

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I want to buy my friend and his gf a wine tasting / pairing / cooking class type thing in NYC, does anyone have any recommendations?

A quick yelp search shows a place called Astor Center with great reviews, but I admittedly don't know shit.

Anyone have any experience with these types of classes? It doesn't have to be strictly wine; even a cocktail class, or anything of that nature would work, but ideally I'd like for them to have some food pairings with the alcohol.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I'm not too educated on wine, but I really like Astor Wine & Spirits, which I think the Astor Center is a part of.

7. etostano

etostano Senior member

Astor Center is definitely affiliated with the store; I've never done a class there but the store has a great selection and a reasonably knowledgable staff.

I've had good experiences with classes at Italiam Wine Merchants (near union square) and New York Vintners (tribeca), with the former being more wine-focused and the latter a bit more hands-on with cooking. Murray's cheese shop on bleecker also does a cheese and wine course which was fun.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Thanks gents. Think I'll go with them.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Bit of a "Christ is born" sky right now.

lefty

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I saw that. Took a picture and sent to to my girlfriend who's down in New Orleans right now.

It was nice driving into the city on Christmas day. Zero traffic, very few pedestrians, gorgeous sky.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  11. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

New Year's Eve in NYC : $250 Cover, All You Can Drink...Who puts up with this stupid bullshit? You pay your entry, then the club purposely under-staffs their bar so people are waiting 9 deep to get their first of two "unlimited" drinks, leaving everyone with $12 worth of alcohol in the stomach and $250 out of their wallet. I'm gonna stay home with Pajama Boy and do a Grandma Moses jigsaw puzzle.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  12. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

NYE is amateur night out. Best to host or attend a party.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Too soon to start missing Bloomberg?

lefty

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Nah.
    I think we will have to wait to see how Bill D handles his first crisis....

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

So, here is something I personally witnessed yesterday.

At SFO, a family of four was trying to board. The gate agents kept saying their bags would not fit. This even though the flight was not full, the same family had taken the same airline, same plane, on the way out and their bags had fit--and even though the father demonstrated, using their own "fit basket" or whatever you call it, that in fact his bag DID fit.

After an argument in which the airline people were being completely assholic and irrational, they let him on WITH his bags.

When we landed at JFK, we got to the gate. They would not open the door and let us off for forty minutes. No explanation. Just "we are delayed here waiting for the Port Authority."

Well, guess what it turned out to be? They sent THREE PA cops to arrest the dad. That's right. The bitch flight attendants, in an act of revenge, had him arrested in front of his wife, kids, and plane full of 200 people. His "crime" was arguing with them and, worse, being right.

Now, if he was a "threat", why did they let him on the plane? If it was about the bag, why did they let him on WITH the bags? (They DID fit, I saw him slow them.)

The government of this country and its collusive industries are illegitimate. There is no word for what I saw other than "tyranny." This is not just a reason New York sucks, but America sucks.