1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Manton, this is a (mostly) civil and thoughtful discussion, and I'm glad you posted it. I probably agree with more of it than I disagree with, at least after applying a hyperbole discount. But I do have to note that when I encounter statements like the highlighted one, it immediately becomes difficult to take any the post seriously. (Which is not to suggest that you or anyone else should give a shit about what I do or don't take seriously - it's just a gratuitous observation for whatever it's worth.)

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Really, well, I live with it every day. PC has utterly, completely taken over the workplace. That triumph was complete probably 10 years ago. What I have noticed more recently is that it's now part of interpersonal relations as well. Forget about simlpy volunteering information counter to The Narrative. Only a fool doesn't know that's suicide. So those who disagree learn to just politely avoid certain subjects. E.g., opinion in Manhattan re: Trayvon was universal. Trayvon=doe-eyed innocent, Zim="white hispanic" racist thug murderer, whole incident=further proof of systemic white racism. If you were to challenge that, the mixture of responses would rage from furious denunciations of you to, at the softest, a rebuke that it's impolite to stir "controversy." Never mind the fact that bringing up The Narrative in the first place is never "controversial," only questioning it or challenging it is.

But lately it's gotten worse. People now like to steer conversations into "controversial" topics to test others' bone fides. Is this a "good person" or not? Let's change the subject to taxpayer funding for Transgender Bathrooms and see what he says!

In any case, what R did was a textbook example of what I wrote. He came to this discussion with nothing. Nothing but falsehood. He saw a threat to the narrative and he pounced.

And, if I may suggest, why don't you search your brain for the most heterodox thought you currently hold, one that is the most out of step with your LA enviornment, and test it out in a circumstance unlikely to harm your career? It can't be about something technical like tax policy, but something hot button like race, immigration or feminism. See how it goes.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

That's because you think I'm a swell guy. :nodding:

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

you may be but I still hate the pirate look. Arr, matey.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Will somebody please wake me up when this thread goes back to bitching about break dancing on the subway?

6. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior member

some lady had her butt exposed in union square last night
    she performing something and exposing herself to try and get a bit more money

i decided to just hurry along to my train since she had a pancake booty

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

:rolleyes:
    I'm not sure why people always assume I'm trying to make a broader point than I really am. I agree that the dynamic you're describing exists to a certain extent. I'm just suggesting it's not quite as universal as your post claims. The single sentence I highlighted in your earlier post posited that everyone in the "Blue Cities" is an enforcer of this orthodoxy. That's plainly not the case, and it's silly to act as though such a statement could be literally true. (As I said, mine is a pretty narrow point.) Bemoaning the scarcity or absence of constructive discourse or dialogue rings a bit hollow when swathed in overbroad hyperbole that posits a boolean division between the lonely keepers of truth and the teeming hordes of conspirators and dupes.

For what it's worth, while I can't speak to what was happening in New York, opinions in Los Angeles (and even in the mostly liberal, Hollywood-related office where I work) were far from uniform with respect to the Trayvon/Zimmerman thing. More generally, I am (my professional connection to the entertainment industry notwithstanding) not a very creative thinker, so my most heterodox opinions probably aren't very heterodox at all. But as a rule I don't feel particularly inhibited from expressing them in social settings. Does that mean I sometimes get negative reactions from stupid people who believe there is only one morally correct way of thinking about various issues? Of course. But would that be a fair characterization of everyone I encounter in Los Angeles? Not at all.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Holy shit, did not expect such a response. It clearly took time, and I appreciate what you said and your thought process. (I also appreciate not being called names or a liberal). Perhaps I should have read through the 100 posts a little slower. PM you in a bit with something else

10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

The fact remains that you haven't defended your initial statement.

If it were such a big problem in DC since 2008 surely there would have been some type of evidence: news articles, interviews, police reports, etc. It seems you could only find 3 examples of this type of assault in DC: one dating back to 2011 and the other 2 happened only 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the assaults from last month were related since they were only a day apart. But the one in 2011 that happened off of North Capitol & New York Avenue? How does that fit into your theory Columbia Heights/Adams Morgan theory? I just don't see a pattern from 3 assaults separated by 2 years. Yet you insist that these things happen all of the time in Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights. Should we just take your word as gospel because you said that you lived in DC for a short period of time in the past? Show your work or retract your statement. Not a hard choice [​IMG]

BTW: borderline areas of DC would be Trinidad, H Street Corridor (north of Capitol Hill heading towards Benning Road) or even the Hillcrest area. Adams Morgan and Columbia heights are too centrally located to be considered borderline.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

One of my former partners used to describe certain opposing counsel as having "a keen instinct for the capillary."

12. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I have coconut sized testicles.

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

You know why New York sucks? The guy in line next to me at the post office watching rap videos on Youtube with no headphones at full volume.

Also the fact that in my neighborhood, bulletproof glass is necessary at the post office.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

stamps be increasin' in price.

there's also bulletproof glass at the Popeye's Chicken in Harlem.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I've not lived in Detroit for 16 years or so and my whole experience with Detroit was coated in bullet proof glass. I can remember hitting a KFC in the late 80s, when I first starting going to Detroit, and just being amazed at such a thing.