Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Phoebe Connolly was attacked on 11/15/2013 in Columbia Heights. It seems another woman was attacked the day also in Columbia Heights. Matt Yglesias was attacked 2.5 years ago off of North Capitol St. & New York Avenue which is right across from a large housing project (I think that area is called Old City). Where is the pattern Columbo? And I still do not see how this has in your mind has become a "5 year trend" when according to your own posts, there were no records of this happening 5 years ago. Hell as of 11/13/2013 the Yglesias attack was the only one in DC.

E6....HIT

[​IMG]

2. Rumpelstiltskin

So which is it? You are hurting your own argument every time you type a sentence

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

:crackup:

There is no pattern, nothing to see here, the youtube vids never happened (except they did), the confessions of perps and the explanations from guys in the 'hood never happened (except they did), the victims are not overwhelmingly white and the perps 100% black (except they are). Nothing to see here, if you recognize a pattern--hell, if you simply accept and repeat the perps' own statements--then you are a bad person.

4. Manton

What? That's a statement of fact. The victims have been overwhelmingly, but not quite universally, white. So what? Grapsing at straws.

Look, you said something false and stupid out of a knee-jerk reaction. You have been decisively refuted. Act like a man and admit it or STFU.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

It wasn't really a serious question, but, no, I do not think a game requires central planning. What am I, a communist? :)

More seriously, it's possible to accept that this is happening without blowing it out of proportion and calling it a trend. Certainly all we have at this point are anecdata, and the reported cases are statistically irrelevant with little reflection of any broader trend.

In any case, on behalf of sane liberals everywhere: Crimes should be prosecuted. Including those committed by people of color, irrespective of the color of the victims.

6. johanm

johanm Senior member

I've been out of the loop on these attacks. Assuming they do follow a pattern, what's the frequency compared to muggings, rapes, and other "random" violent assaults (i.e. where there isn't a preexisting relationship between the perp and victim)?

7. Rumpelstiltskin

3 assaults spread out over 2.5 years in 2 different neighbourhoods (btw: none of the assaults happened in Adams Morgan, the other neighbourhood you cited) but it is my supposed liberal bias and blind ignorance that prevents me from seeing a pattern. Whatever you say hayseed

"Oooh that DC is a really scary place! And it must be true be cause I read it on the interwebz!!" [​IMG]

8. Manton

Keep digging.

There is no spoon.

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

The oppressed youth tend to shout "world star" after completing the former.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. Rumpelstiltskin

You keep changing your story. First you stated that it has been an issue in DC for at least 5 years

I stated it was not an issue in DC. Then you stated

At that point I was unaware that 2 assaults happened in Columbia Heights 2 weeks ago so as far as I knew there was only the single attack on Matt Yglesias that was in neither Columbia Heights nor Adams Morgan waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2011. How could you have heard about this trend/phenomenon 5 years ago in these areas if the first attack was reported in 2011 in an entirely different part of the city?

You are somehow attempting to make a definitive statement based on 3 separate assaults, 1 of which was in 2011 and the other 2 in an entirely different neighbourhoods 2.5 years later and claim they form a pattern of violence against whites. Oh and you claimed that these assaults targeted whites only but then admitted in the same sentence that blacks had also had been attacked.

The math doesn't add up and neither does the geography. Your original statement was a lie and all the bluster you can muster (hey that rhymes!) won't change that one simple fact. About the only thing that you have proved is that every blue moon someone in DC gets assaulted by others. Is there any wonder why I am laughing at you?

Now can we get back to complaining about NYC?

12. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I enjoyed this thread much more when the discussion focused on shitty Ramen.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Just reading through a CNN piece on the engineer driving the MTA train. Do not be surprised if he's characterized as some sort of victim.

I predict we should not judge this man.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the focus was on excellent ramen at shitty prices.

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Another hard-working public servant felled by chronic fatigue syndrome. I will keep him in my prayers.